This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2302 / 53°13'48"N
Longitude: -4.0691 / 4°4'8"W
OS Eastings: 261984
OS Northings: 372344
OS Grid: SH619723
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.0G1R
Mapcode Global: WH548.G2KJ
Entry Name: Farmbuildings at Glan-y-mor-isaf
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22966
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located to east of the farmhouse around 2 cobbled yards; large C20 farmbuildings lie directly to the east and north and a large modern farm shed covers the majority of the western yard.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1846 as the farmbuildings of the model farm built by the Penrhyn Estate at Glan-y-mor-isaf. This farmstead is one of the earliest built by the estate as part of the widespread improvements to its agricultural land following the succession of Edward Douglas-Pennant in 1840. The barn was damaged by fire in c1944 and re-roofed.
Model farmbuildings arranged around 3 sides of a cobbled yard with open-fronted shelter sheds in centre facing each way onto their own smaller walled yard areas. Regularly coursed rubblestone, much of it (notably to barn) well-dressed Anglesey limestone blocks, upper part of east gable end of barn rebuilt in mid-C20 brick; slate roofs, hipped to south end of cart shelter range, with slate coping to gable ends of single-storey buildings.
External elevations: West range has 2-storey cart shelter/loft range on left with 3 cart bays to left, outer with segmental-shaped lintels, and boarded door to right (this end is an extension-see change in masonry); 4 eaves openings, all with slate cills, being from left to right an 8-pane/boarded ventilator window, a boarded hatch, another ventilator window and a 6-paned sash window respectively; red brick ridge stack to right. To right is a long single-storey range with 2 doorways towards southern end, right with boarded door, left blocked and with ventilator window inserted in infill. North range has barn to right (continuation of cart shelter range on west side) with external brick steps (the treads are slate) on right leading to boarded door on upper level; central segmental-headed doorway with keystone forms one side of opposing entrance (see internal elevations); ventilation slits. To left is the largely unbroken rear wall of single-storey cowhouse range, main access to which is from the yard side.
Internal (yard) elevations: the yard is reached through the back of the cart shelter. Barn as on external elevation with cross-shaped and long narrow ventilation slits on right of doorway; cowhouse to its right has doorway on left and another to right flanked by ventilator windows; similar arrangement of doors and windows to long cowhouse range on east side; stables in single-storey part of west range. Open-fronted shelter shed in centre of yard has wide openings extending to eaves level in both long walls; walled enclosure survives largely intact on west side but parts have been removed on east; wide north gable end wall has large built-in slate trough to left and boarded door on right.
Cowhouses have A-frame trusses; range to east houses large slate slab water tank. Barn has king-post roof, rebuilt c1944 but following C19 pattern.
Included as an essentially unaltered and securely dated group of deliberately planned farmbuildings at the heart of a mid-C19 model estate farm, one of the earliest established by the Penrhyn Estate as part of its major agricutural improvements in the period after c1840; as such it forms one of the prototypes for several other similar farms in the immediately surrounding area.
Other nearby listed buildings