This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1916 / 53°11'29"N
Longitude: -4.0985 / 4°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 259895
OS Northings: 368109
OS Grid: SH598681
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.2T27
Mapcode Global: WH54G.01ML
Entry Name: Gelli
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23345
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located opposite churchyard of Eglwys y Santes Fawr at junction of Lon-y-Wern (minor road to Bryn-twrw) and B 4409; low rubblestone wall with decorated iron gates and cobbled paths in front of cottage
Town: Tregarth, Bangor
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Locality: Tyn lon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, the cottage is likely to have been built only shortly before this date, its occupants probably working in one of the neighbouring slate quarries, most probably the Penrhyn Slate Quarry near Bethesda, which was rapidly expanding at this period. The cottage is typical of those slightly later cottages sited at some distance from the quarry where the distance from the quarry was compensated for by the location in better-quality agricultural land, of which the part allocated to the cottage was worked by the occupants for their own use. The single-room section may be an addition to the original cottage.
Single-storey building of linear form, aligned roughly north-south, the larger part to right (south) of 2-unit plan with very slightly lower single-room section on left. Roughly coursed rubblestone; slate roof with purple brick coping to main part. This has 4-paned casement windows with slate cills on either side of offset boarded door under bracketed lean-to hood; rendered integral end stacks. Section to left has 12-paned sash to left of boarded door and a rendered integral end stack. Small C20 extension at rear.
Interior not accessible at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved early C19 quarryman's/smallholder's cottage, built in the local vernacular tradition of the area. The building is a typical feature in the landscape of small fields and scattered cottages, characteristic of the upland settlement pattern associated with the development of quarrying in this region, albeit that in this case the cottage occupies a lowland roadside position in good agricultural land.
Other nearby listed buildings