History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

,1,Pentre Ucha,Gwespyr,Holywell,,CH8 9LW

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwespyr, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3357 / 53°20'8"N

Longitude: -3.3369 / 3°20'12"W

OS Eastings: 311076

OS Northings: 382920

OS Grid: SJ110829

Mapcode National: GBR 5Y4V.CZ

Mapcode Global: WH769.QF64

Entry Name: ,1,Pentre Ucha,Gwespyr,Holywell,,CH8 9LW

Listing Date: 30 April 2001

Last Amended: 30 April 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25076

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the S end of Gwespyr opposite the junction with New Road.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Llanasa

Community: Llanasa

Locality: Gwespyr

Built-Up Area: Gwespyr

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Talacre

History

Probably built in the C18 as a single-unit cottage, and shown on the 1839 Tithe map as part of the Talacre Estate owned by Sir Edward Mostyn. A second cottage was added in the third quarter of the C19 in a traditional style typical of the estate village of Gwespyr, and is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey. Subsequently the pair was converted to a single cottage.

Exterior

A 2-storey 2-window house of snecked rubble with bigger quoins, and slate roof behind coped gables, and end stack to the L, external stack to the R (partly obscured by the abutting No 2 Gwespyr). The house is in 2 distinct phases separated by a vertical joint. The original cottage is on the R-hand side, with a doorway under segmental head, while the later cottage is the L-hand, which has a blocked doorway under a dressed stone lintel. The lower storey has 2-light casements renewed in original segmental-headed openings placed to the R of the doorways. The upper storey has horizontal-sliding sash windows below the eaves. A flat-roofed projection is at the rear.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C19 estate cottage retaining traditional character, and with earlier origins as a small vernacular cottage.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II ,2,Pentre Ucha,Gwespyr,Holywell,,CH8 9LW
    At the S end of Gwespyr, opposite the junction with New Road.
  • II Gwespyr War Memorial
    At the S end of the village and set back from the main road through the village opposite Kelston Court
  • II Henllystan
    An isolated house at the S end of Gwespyr, reached by private drive W of a minor road between Gwespyr and Llanasa.
  • II Cartref
    On the E side of Gwespyr overlooking the Dee Estuary to the N.
  • II St Winefrides
    Approximately 1.1km N of Llanasa village on the S side of a minor road between Llanasa and Gronant.
  • II St Winefrides School House
    Approximately 1.1km N of Llanasa village on the S side of a minor road between Llanasa and Gronant.
  • II The School House
    Approximately 1.1km N of Llanasa village on the S side of a minor road between Llanasa and Gronant.
  • II Folly Tower at Talacre Abbey
    In woodland on the SE side of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.