This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.849 / 51°50'56"N
Longitude: -4.3168 / 4°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 240514
OS Northings: 219246
OS Grid: SN405192
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TRVZ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.4S6G
Entry Name: White Bridge (The bascule railway bridge)
Listing Date: 5 December 2002
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 80709
Building Class: Transport
Location: Railway bridge over Towy river and accessed via footpath in field behind Queen Elizabeth Maridunum School.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Railway bridge over the Towy of 1908-11 replacing an opening timber bridge by Brunel of 1852-3 for the S Wales Railway, then no longer considered strong enough for the weight of modern rolling stock and locomotives. The replacement was built as a rolling bascule bridge by the Great Western Railway. In 1933 it was said that the bridge was an early design by the noted engineer Ralph Freeman. The contractor was the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co of Darlington. The opening mechanism has been derelict for many years.
Railway bridge of 5 fixed spans and one roller lift span. Fourteen iron cylinders (weighted with concrete) braced by lattic girders and ornamented with cast-iron moulded capitals carry the steel superstructure of cross-girders and rail-bearers carried on bearing girders. Parapet of solid panels surmounted by lattice-work. Three-sided cast-iron pilasters articulate the bays of each span. Brick abutments, and as sub-structure of lifting mechanism.
The lifting span (westernmost) is a balanced cantilever carried on steel-plate bearing girders supported on 2 sets of cylinders. Lattice girders to span, curving down to the line of parapet of main bridge. Steel-plate cross girders and rail bearers, the cross girders alternately projecting to support outriggers of main girders. The moving span was operated by gearing carried on trestles on cantilevers either side of the bridge: a curved rack is fixed to the outer face of the main girders, driven by pinions themselves driven by wheels. These details survive, though the small power house which housed the electric motor on the S side of the bridge is now derelict.
Included at II* as a rare surviving example of a bascule bridge, an unusual engineering structure with strong architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings