This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.861 / 51°51'39"N
Longitude: -4.3188 / 4°19'7"W
OS Eastings: 240425
OS Northings: 220587
OS Grid: SN404205
Mapcode National: GBR DF.SZ9Z
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3H66
Entry Name: Lime Grove House
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82164
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated close to road, in own grounds, some 80m NW of the junction with Nant-yr-Arian.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Suburban house, originally early C19, but rebuilt in later C19. Marked on 1837 tithe map as owned by Samuel Morris. Advertised to let in 1840 with 3 parlours and 5 bedrooms. In September 1870, Mrs Catherine Bridget Florentia Davies of Lime Grove, described as one of the wealthiest women in the county, died. The Lime Grove estate was sold for building in 1884. In 1920 and 1926 occupied by C.
H. Morgan Griffiths, solicitor. In 1937 bought for the Diocesan High School for Girls established in 1879 in Nos 20-22 Wellfield Road. A chapel was built in the grounds in 1939 using material from the chapel of Carmarthen Gaol, the school closed in 1964 and the chapel, renamed All Saints church, became a chapel to St David's church. The chapel is now derelict, and the house is used as council offices.
Substantial detached house in Victorian Italianate style, painted stucco with hipped slate roof, plain eaves cornice. Long rectangular building with facade on short S end and 2 large yellow brick stacks with stepped caps, containing 10 shafts, on roof hips to S and N. Two-storey and attic, channelled angle piers with floral capitals, moulded band between floors, plate glass sash windows in moulded stucco surrounds. Three-bay S front has 3 first floor sashes, 2 ground floor stuccoed canted bay windows and centre stuccoed porch. Additional bay to left has arched window over square-headed ground floor window.
Long E side has 2 attic lead-roofed stucco dormers, with moulded arched heads and moulded arched surrounds to sash windows. First floor has 3 canted oriels, with plate glass sashes, dentilled cornices at main eaves level, and panels below sills. Also 2 plate glass sashes to left of central oriel and one to right. Ground floor has blank window to right of first oriel, then door with overlight in columned porch. Two thin columns and pilaster responds, corniced flat roof. Five sash windows to right.
N end has 2 similar round-headed dormers, square-headed sash to first floor left and arched window right of centre, now door. Large added lean-to to ground floor and pyramid roofed 2-storey addition at NW corner. W side has 2-storey addition in angle to right and generally plate-glass sashes, some in moulded frames.
Much altered as offices. S end has central entrance hall with room each side, and centre staircase with cast-iron balusters.
Included as a substantial later Victorian suburban house in Italianate style.
Other nearby listed buildings