History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Abbey (Junior School)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodbridge, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0931 / 52°5'35"N

Longitude: 1.3138 / 1°18'49"E

OS Eastings: 627094

OS Northings: 249046

OS Grid: TM270490

Mapcode National: GBR WQ5.NZH

Mapcode Global: VHLBP.QNF8

Entry Name: The Abbey (Junior School)

Listing Date: 25 January 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031086

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284631

Location: Woodbridge, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Parish: Woodbridge

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Woodbridge St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Listing Text

1. CHURCH STREET
1852 (South West Side)

No 27 (The Abbey)
(Junior School)
TM 2748 3/65 25.1.51.
TM 2648 2/65

II*

2.
C16, built on the site of the Priory of the Austin Canons of Woodbridge,
which was suppressed in 1537 and leased to Sir Anthony Wingfield in 1538.
At his death it passed to Sir John and Dorothy Wingfield in 1547. In
1564 it was sold by the Crown to Thomas Seckford, subject to the life
interest of Dorothy Wingfield, after which it passed to the sole owner-
ship of Thomas Seckford. The date on the Seckford coat of arms over the
south porch is 1564, but this may have marked the latter event, and the
buildings have been erected between 1547 and 1564. The Abbey remained
in the Seckford family until 1673. During the Commonwealth it was
occupied by John Hope, Colonel of the Horse in the army which besieged
Colchester. In 1673 it passed to E North and in 1771 to Thomas Carthew
and after several other ownerships it has returned to a collateral branch
of the Carthew family. Very extensive alterations and additions have been
made from time to time mainly in period reproduction with the addition of
sundry pin acles and other embellishments to the old work. The building
is 2 storey with gabled dormers. The main feature of the old work is the
3 storey porch and room over. The gables have brick pediments and as with
other brick moulding and mullions etc are stucco finished. The Porch has
triple superimposed orders, over a semi-circular arched doorway, the ground
floor Doric with fluted pilasters and panelled pedestals, moulded brick
entablature, and above on the 1st and 2nd floors, plain brick pilasters,
crowned by brick pediment in gable. There are 4 original gabled dormers.
A moulded brick band stucco faced of the early work remains, and there
are 3 modern bays along the south front. A portion of the original building
shows on the north front and indications of 2 gabled wings now filled in
between the modern additions. The original staircase remains. The south
porch door is of C18 but a contemporary door is fitted to the frame and
fanlight as also in the modern porch, but both may have been acquired from
elsewthere. A brick moulded 4-centre arch leads to the cellar on the south
front.


Listing NGR: TM2709449046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.