History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Otterden, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2536 / 51°15'12"N

Longitude: 0.7892 / 0°47'21"E

OS Eastings: 594731

OS Northings: 154184

OS Grid: TQ947541

Mapcode National: GBR RVF.8BQ

Mapcode Global: VHKK0.MRKD

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Location: Otterden, Maidstone, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Parish: Otterden

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 26 April 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173981

Source ID: 1060964

Listing Text

OTTERDEN BUNCE COURT ROAD
TQ 95 SW (west side)

5/243 Church of St. Lawrence
26.4.68.
GV II*

Parish church. 1753-9, possibly designed by the Rev. Granville
Wheler of Otterden Place, on footings of Medieval nave. Chancel
of 1894. Red brick in Flemish bond with plain tile roof.
Rectangular, with very small chapel or alcove for monuments
on noth side, and small chancel. Brick plinth with plain ashlar
coping, rusticated ashlared stone quoins, broad wood eaves band,
projecting eaves with flat soffits and single plain modillions.
Hipped roof. West front (towards Otterden Place) has 2 niches
with round-arched rubbed brick heads and stone cills, with 3
blank rectangular recesses above. Central fielded panelled door
with slightly segmental head, plain stone architrave and triple
keystone, topped with moulded cornice. 3 mid C19 round-headed
stone windows to south side. Interior: Mid C18 detailing. Chinese
Chippendale benches. Brasses to Thomas Seintlegier, d. 1408;
Isobel Chyrche, d. 1488; John Aucher, d. 1502 and James Aucher,
d. 1508. Standing wall monument to William Lewin, d. 1598; alabaster,
with recumbent figures flanked by Corinthian columns carrying
entablature and achievements. Kneeling children to base. Verse
inscriptions. Standing wall monument to John Bunce, d. 1611;
alabaster, with kneeling figures at a prayer desk. Standing wall
monument to Sir Justinian Lewin, d. 1620, attributed to Epiphanius
Evesham (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North East and
East Kent, 1969). Alabaster and black marble, with plaster
figures, he lying, she kneeling, with daughter beside. Flanking
columns bearing pediments. Memorial slab to Margaret Slatyer,
d. 1654. Cartouche to Sir George Curteis, d. 1702 with putti to top
and hollow skull to base. Scrolled cartouche to Ann Curteis, d. 1722
(J. Newman, op. Cit.)


Listing NGR: TQ9466854202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.