History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of St James's Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Dover, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1261 / 51°7'34"N

Longitude: 1.3179 / 1°19'4"E

OS Eastings: 632261

OS Northings: 141553

OS Grid: TR322415

Mapcode National: GBR X2Z.B0R

Mapcode Global: VHLHB.SYLL

Entry Name: Remains of St James's Church

Listing Date: 30 June 1949

Last Amended: 8 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177821

Location: Dover, Dover, Kent, CT16

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Dover

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Dover

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

TR 3241 WOOLCOMBER STREET
(East side)

1/15 Remains of St James's
Church

GV 30.6.49 II

the address shall be amended to read:
CASTLE HILL ROAD

1/15 Remains of St James's
Church

GV 30.6.49 II

------------------------------------

WOOLCOMBER STREET
l. (East Side)
1050
Remains of St James's
Church
TR 3241 1/15 30.6.49.

II GV

2.
Originally a Norman building but restored in the C19. There is a Norman
zigzag arch and the side elevation, built of flints, has a blocked entrance
filled with Norman fragments. The rest of the church is of Caen stone, with
stone quoins. There is a Cl4 addition on the South side of the Nave which
was used until 185l as a Court house for the Chancery and Admiralty Courts
of the Cinque Ports, and for the Court of Lodemanage. The last Court of
Lodemanage was held by the Duke of Wellington here in 1851. The seat and
bench used by the Duke of Wellington and the Barons of the Cinque Ports have
been transferred to St Mary's Church. This building was not used as a church
since the middle of the C19 when the garrison Church in the Castle was restored.
The building was very badly damaged by shelling from the French coast during
the last war. AM.

Remains of St. James's Church and White Horse Inn form a group.


Listing NGR: TR3226141553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.