Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6519 / 51°39'6"N
Longitude: -0.7522 / 0°45'7"W
OS Eastings: 486421
OS Northings: 195526
OS Grid: SU864955
Mapcode National: GBR D4Y.8NT
Mapcode Global: VHDVY.XR60
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Location: Hughenden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46570
Source ID: 1125743
HUGHENDEN HUGHENDEN PARK
SU 89 NE
4/90 Church of St. Michael and
Parish church. Originally C14, almost totally rebuilt 1875 by
Sir A.W. Blomfield. Knapped flint with stone dressings and tiled roofs.
N.W. tower, nave, S.porch,N. aisle, N. chapel now vestry, and chancel.
In decorated style with arched traceried windows. Tower is of 3 stages
with set back buttresses, battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof.
Each side has pair of large 2-light openings to bell-chamber; W. side
has moulded doorway and lancet windows. Nave has 4-light W. window,
one 3-light and 2 2-light windows to S., and a moulded S. door in steeply
gabled porch. C20 extension to N. aisle with row of leaded lights. N.
chapel has 2-light window to N. and 3-light E. window with old tracery.
Chancel has 2 2-light windows to S. and a 3-light window to E. Interior:
C19 N. arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers; similar chancel arch;
2-light windows to original outer wall of N. aisle; 2 C15 moulded arches between
chancel and N. chapel, the central octagonal pier with painted shields
on capital; C14 ogee piscina; C19 roofs and painted decoration in chancel.
Fittings: C13 cylindrical font with trefoil arcade and foliage frieze; C17
altar table in N. aisle; richly carved marble pulpit of 1891, with figures
of archangels in ogee niches; C19 glass including Disraeli memorial
in E. window, and N.W. window commemorating Queen Victoria's escape
from assassination 1882. Monuments: Queen Victoria's monument to
Benjamin Disraeli 1882, with profile portrait carved by R.C. Belt,
on N. wall of chancel; monument to Thomas Lane 1621 on S. wall of chancel
with small carved figure kneeling at reading desk; medieval cadavre with
open shroud in 4-centred arch in N. chapel; 2 medieval effigies of
knights in N. chapel, one on E. window sill, the other cross-legged and
embellished C16; 3 early C16 slabs with low relief figures of fake
medieval knights, supposedly of the Montfort and Wellesbourne families,
also in N. chapel, one in a 4-centred arched recess.
RCHM I.p.209-210. MON. 2.
Listing NGR: SU8642195526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings