History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8228 / 52°49'22"N

Longitude: -1.4283 / 1°25'41"W

OS Eastings: 438621

OS Northings: 325185

OS Grid: SK386251

Mapcode National: GBR 6G8.5NY

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.194S

Entry Name: Market Cross

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204824

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83122

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 38/3925 PARISH OF MELBOURNE MARKET PLACE
6/138 (South Side)
Market Cross
GV II
Market cross. 1889 by James Wright with alterations, dated
1953, restored 1977. Ashlar and timber with hipped plain tile
roof. Large central stone pier has moulded base with wooden
bench attached, all round. Above there are blind C12 style
semi-circular headed niches to all except the south side, with
scalloped capitals, nookshafts and moulded arches, plus
continuous impost band and hoodmoulds. West side has the
inscription 'Erected 1889' within the niche and the north side
has an inset brass plaque recording the fact that the monument
was erected by public subscription to celebrate Victoria's
Jubilee. Beneath this is a short history of Melbourne. The
south side has another brass plaque recording that the timber
shelter was erected in 1953 and that the monument and shelter
were restored in 1977. Above the arches there is a wide moulded
cornice and above again is an octagonal stone spire with a lamp
to the top. Attached to the top of the cornice, a wide timber
shelter has been erected with three large posts to each side.


Listing NGR: SK3862125185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.