History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II Listed Building in Swanmore, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9442 / 50°56'39"N

Longitude: -1.181 / 1°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 457633

OS Northings: 116401

OS Grid: SU576164

Mapcode National: GBR 98X.N7D

Mapcode Global: FRA 86DM.5PB

Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 1 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146201

Location: Swanmore, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Swanmore

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Swanmore

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Swanmore

Listing Text

SWANMORE CHURCH ROAD
SU 51 NE
4/34 Church of St Barnabas
II

Parish church. 1844, neo-Norman by Ferrey, with chancel extended and vestry of
1863, north aisle tower and west windows of 1876. Walls of coursed flintwork with
stone dressings; plinth, main flat buttresses, cill band, intermediate flat
buttresses, corbel table, round-arched openings and impost bands; the chancel lacks
the buttresses and is apsidal. The west windows are triple lancets (nave) and
triple lancets within plate tracery with roundels (south aisle). The tower is plain,
with thin lancets, a timber framed arcade to the bell stage, and a pyramid shingled
spire; it acts as a north porch, with a pointed arched entrance, and there is a
half-octagonal staircase in the centre of the east face. The interior is plain,
with Victorian fittings, including a square font on pillars, and an elaborate
octagonal pulpit of coloured marble.


Listing NGR: SU5849016240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.