This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5708 / 53°34'14"N
Longitude: -0.0828 / 0°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 527057
OS Northings: 409947
OS Grid: TA270099
Mapcode National: GBR WWV4.WQ
Mapcode Global: WHHHS.PHSY
Entry Name: Corporation Bridge
Listing Date: 30 June 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478815
Location: North East Lincolnshire, DN31
County: North East Lincolnshire
Locality: West Marsh
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Great Grimsby St Mary and St James
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Electrically-powered Sherzer rolling lift road bridge. 1925 by Alfred C Gardner, Docks Engineer to London and North Eastern Railway; Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow, contractors, for Grimsby Corporation. Restored c1980. Cast-iron and steel bridge with timber-clad control box, brick and ashlar abutments. 4 spans resting on short cylindrical piers, those flanking the lifting bascule over the main channel having timber buffers. Bridge has lattice girder parapets which are ramped-up to the lifting section. Ornate cast-iron piers above the abutments, each with plinth, moulded cornice and lamp standards. The plinths bear plaques on 2 sides, the north-east plinth with a commemorative inscription recording details of construction and the opening of the bridge by HRH the Prince of Wales on 19 July 1925; the other plinths have plaques bearing polychrome painted reliefs of the Grimsby Corporation Arms. Makers names on girders include: Skinningrove, Frodingham Iron and Steel Co., Dalzell Steel GK. Control box has wrap-around window with glazing bars, hipped roof with ridge louvre. Bridge spans dock near Victoria Mills, Victoria Street (qv) and replaced a swing bridge.
(Grimsby Planning Department: Victoria Mill Conservation Area:Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: 5-7; Grimsby Borough Council: Top Town Trail: Grimsby: 1989-: NO.38).
Listing NGR: TA2705709947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings