Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8012 / 50°48'4"N
Longitude: -1.1049 / 1°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 463171
OS Northings: 100568
OS Grid: SU631005
Mapcode National: GBR VNT.WF
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.CBH
Entry Name: Church of Saint Ann (Building Number 1/65)
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Locality: Charles Dickens
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Listing Date: 25 September 1972
Last Amended: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474226
Source ID: 1386817
SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE
774-1/29/185 (South side)
HM Naval Base
25.9.72 Church of St Ann (Building No 1/65)
Church. 1785-86; bomb-damaged 1941; restored 1955-6. Possibly by Marquand, a Navy Board surveyor, working under Samuel Wyatt at Admiralty House, contractors Thomas Parlby & Sons. Red brick in Flemish bond; roof concealed.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 5-bay galleried nave (originally longer) with narrower 1- bay "crossing" and narrower-still 1-bay chancel with north and south vestries. At west end, cupola with bell. Plinth. Windows have brick arches, segmental on ground floor, round to gallery; ashlar sills; and C20 metal windows. Stepped eaves with ashlar cornice below coped parapet. West end: (rebuilt 1955-8); 3-bays. Corner pilasters support corniced pediment in which is blind oculus. Steps up to central pedimented ashlar porch with wide double door in architrave. Outer bays each have a flat- arched window linked by recessed brick panel to round- arched upper window; central upper window with keystone. Cupola (reconstructed) has columns supporting entablature and metalled dome surmounted by elaborate
weather-vane on ball. INTERIOR: gallery on 3 sides (reconstructed 1955-56) carried on columns with fluted capitals has panelled corniced front, and at centre early C18 carved wooden coat of arms of the Gifford family, incorporating royal coat of arms, figures of Justice (blindfolded and carrying scales) and Fame (with trumpet), and dolphins (Sir William Gifford was Commissioner of the dockyard from 1702-1705). Nave and chancel have panelled walls and ceiling cornice. Chancel arch flanked by pilasters surmounted by urns and with swagged drapes over arch. East window has pilasters with acanthus leaf capitals and "scalloped" archivolt with central laurel wreath; swagged drapes over. To nave ceiling, large elaborate chandelier roundel with acanthus leaf motifs and decorated scalloping; elegant pewter chandelier of 1704 (gilded 1956). Marble font of 1856. Eagle lectern 1882, Gothick-style wooden pulpit of 1906. Various C19 marble memorials.
HISTORY: the oldest surviving chapel in a navy yard and part of a good group with the ropery buildings and Commissioner's House (qqv). Graded to reflect the extensive mid C20 rebuilding of the front and refurnishing of the interior.
(Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 71-72; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 436- 7; The Church of St Ann in Her Majesty's Naval Base at Portsmouth: 1991).
Listing NGR: SU6317100567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings