This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.66 / 52°39'36"N
Longitude: -3.1776 / 3°10'39"W
OS Eastings: 320447
OS Northings: 307571
OS Grid: SJ204075
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.5DBH
Mapcode Global: WH79P.5D3M
Entry Name: Llanerchydol Hall
Location: In parkland between the Llanfair and Llanfyllin Roads to the W of Welshpool.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Listing Date: 25 April 1950
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 7736
The site of the hall has a long history of occupation, but the first documented house was built in 1776. There is no visible evidence for the form of this house, however, because following a fire, the house was rebuilt or remodelled in 1820 for David Pugh: there is some stylistic evidence to associate this work with the Reptons, though no documentary confirmation. In c1880 the house was extended, and the SW service wing may have been added at this time, although again it seems likely that this work involved the remodelling of existing buildings rather than entirely new build. The house remained in the Pugh family until 1912. It has now been subdivided to form two dwellings.
Picturesque early Gothic Revival style, with irregular massing and composition. Principle fronts are ashlar faced, lined out render in secondary elevations; with brick to rear and in SW wing; slate roofs, recessed behind parapets. House comprises entrance range facing NE: 3 storeyed tower to SE angle, and recessed rear range linking to a smaller tower advanced to SW; conservatory runs between these two towers on the garden front. Former service wing to SW, with small service yard occupying the angle between this wing and the SW tower. Entrance front has the 3 storeyed tower advanced to the left, with embattled porch at its angle with the main range: 4-centred chamfered outer arch to porch, which has similar arched inner doorway with traceried panelled and part-glazed door. 2x2-light wood mullioned and transomed windows with traceried arched lights to the right of the porch, similar mullioned windows above, all with drop-ended hood moulds. Single storeyed block to right appears to be a later addition - possibly a billiard room - though it may represent an 1820 addition to the core of the late C18 building, since it links the main block of the house with the 1820 gate into the stable yard: it has a 3-light mullioned and transomed window of similar design. Tower to left of entrance has octagonal pilasters terminating as turrets at its outer angles, balanced by a small octagonal turret corbelled from the entrance front inner angle; embattled parapet with triple octagonal traceried chimneys. On the Garden front the tower has 3x2-light mullioned windows with arched traceried lights to first and second floors; ground floor has transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights, with armorial stained glass in the upper panes. In front of the W wing, a 3-bay conservatory has traceried arched lights to 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. 2-storeyed tower to the left has oriel window on moulded corbel to first floor; moulded string course and embattled parapet; turret at its right-hand angle has steeply arched window in its upper stage. The line of the tower continues to the left as a brick wall screening the service courtyard in front of the service wing: this has small-paned 2-light windows, and 2 dormer gables corbelled out. Brick on its rear (NW) elevation, with 9-pane sash windows in chamfered reveals, and dormer gable above tripartite sash windows to the left of the doorway. Projecting gabled block (housing kitchen) with tripartite sash window on each floor is linked to the NW gable of the main range by a short wing.
The house has been bisected across the rear of the main range to form two dwellings but otherwise retains most of the original layout in its principle areas. Main entrance hall articulated by cusped arch sprung from foliate corbels; opaque glass with Pugh family crest over doorway. Staircase rises the full height of the house: cantilevered stair with traceried cast-iron balusters. Armorial stained glass window lights the stairs from the S. Double doors to drawing room in base of main tower is articulated by central dividing arch: shallow arch with traceried panelled reveals and octagonal pilasters with capitals. Marble fireplace and overmantle enriched with traceried panelwork and oak-leaf scroll-work matching the detail in internal joinery and plasterwork throughout the house; ribbed panelled ceiling with oak-leaf cornice. Dining room has similar ribbed panelled ceiling and cornice; wall- paper in imitation of embossed leather, above a lincrusta dado. Other rooms retain original fireplaces, and some plasterwork, and the kitchen in the rear wing retains a fine Coalbrookdale Company Range.
A fine Gothic Revival country house, and an excellent example of the principles of the Picturesque as applied to architecture. The house retains a fine interior.
Other nearby listed buildings