If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Rufford Abbey
Date Listed: 18 March 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 241928
OS Grid Reference: SK6456564780
OS Grid Coordinates: 464565, 364780
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1762, -1.0354
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Rufford Abbey Cistercian Monastery: Monastic Precinct, Water-Management Works, Pre-Monastic Open-Field System and Post-Medieval Building, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
RUFFORD off OLD RUFFORD
SK 66 SW ROAD (east side)
6/78 Rufford Abbey
Cistercian Abbey founded 1147 by Gilbert de Gant. 1170, C13,
C14, C15. Granted to Earls of Shrewsbury 1537. Partly
demolished and converted to country house 1560-1. Passed to
Saviles 1626. Remodelled 1685-95. Additions c.1720, altered
c.1790, and 1838-40 by A. Salvin. Partly demolished 1959.
Rubble, brick, dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings.
Plain tile roofs. Lintel and eaves bands, coped gables with
kneelers. 2 gable stacks and 2 side wall stacks, one of them
external. 2 storeys plus basement and 4 storeys plus garrets. 6
bays wide by 12 bays deep. T-plan. Windows are cross and
mullioned leaded casements with chamfered and rebated reveals.
Many unglazed. Roofless north wing has C13 undercroft and
superstructure C16 and C17. West side has off centre bridge, mid
C19, leading to porch tower. 6 bays. Ashlar. Plinth,
pilasters, balustrade with round headed openings and moulded
coping. East end has a pair of scroll brackets. West end has
steps with splayed flanking scroll brackets. Porch, C16,
restored C19, 4 stages, has parapet with chamfered coping.
Basement level has to north and south an archway with segmental
head. Entry stage has to west moulded four centred arched
doorway with C19 panelled doors, flanked by single barley sugar
columns with Corinthian capitals and entablature. To north and
south a cross window. Third stage has to west an oval cartouche
with Arms, strapwork brackets and blocked obelisk finials.
Fourth stage has to west a chamfered strapwork panel and single
window and to east, opening with segmental head. Basement to
left of porch has to left 5 small moulded openings and to their
right, a C15 round headed triple lancet, and beyond, a mullioned
window. Above, 8 double cross windows. Basement to right of
porch has 3 windows and above, 3 cross windows. Above again, 3
smaller windows. East side has basement with 4 unequally spaced
doorways and to right, blocked fireplace. Above, to left,
remains of a mullioned window and 6 openings. To right, remains
of cross window and opening with moulded segmental head. To
right again, remains of 2 openings. Above again, remains of 2
mullioned windows. North east return angle has roofless extruded
corner with a cross window and a doorway to east and to north.
South range, C17, remodelled C19, has partly demolished north
east corner with remains of various openings and fireplaces. To
right, recessed bay with cross window. Double east gable has 3
cross windows. Above, 3 large blocked openings with keystoned
eared architraves. Above again, 3 similar smaller architraves,
blocked or with remains of timber mullions. South front has off
centre gabled bay with clock and bell turret, and to left,
external stack. To its left, adjoining gatepier with ball
finial. 3 windows and to right, chamfered doorway with C19 door.
Beyond adjoining boundary wall, 2 round headed doorways. Above,
to left, 3 cross windows and to right, on different level, 4
similar windows. Above again to left, 3 cross windows. Above
again, to right, 5 mullioned windows. Above again, to left, 2
cross-eaves gabled dormers with mullioned casements. Gabled bay
to right has central window in opening with segmental head.
Above it, ashlar panel containing clock. Above again, octagonal
bell turret with round headed openings and bracketed cornice.
Stepped ogee leaded dome with wind vane. North side has a
similar clock dial. West gable has 2 mullioned windows and
above, 2 cross windows. Above again, 2 similar windows and
above again, central window with hood mould. North wing
undercroft has to north, chamber with C13 groin vault, 4 bays,
with 3 octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded octagonal
capitals. Moulded octagonal corbels. To north, pseudo pier with
pointed arched opening. To south, transverse chamber with groin
vault and 3 pointed doorways. To south again, chamber with C14
vault, 4 bays, with chamfered ribs and faceted conical corbels.
3 round piers with water holding bases and moulded capitals.
East side has large C19 ashlar fireplace with chamfered lintel
and hipped tiled hood. North wing has to east, blocked 3 light
window with timber mullions. To its right, C14 coved reveal with
masks and foliate bosses. South wing has stud walls, winder
stair with square newel and moulded C18 landing balustrade with
turned balusters. C17 plank door with cross patterned
weatherstripping and timber cased lock. Single C19 Gothic style
fireplace. C19 purlin rood. Kitchen has to east, 3 openings
with segmental heads and linked hood moulds, and to south,
opening with segmental head and large C19 range. Flanked by
single round headed doorways. Above, brackets carrying remains
of elaborate smoke jack. Now in Guardianship of English
Heritage, also an Ancient Monument. Sources: Pevsner. Notts.
C.C. handout (Rufford History). Rufford 'Past and Present'
Guidebook. Country Life, XIV p.650 and LXXXIV, p.189.
Listing NGR: SK6456564780
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.