British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Pitchford Hall, Pitchford

Description: Pitchford Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 259787

OS Grid Reference: SJ5278204237
OS Grid Coordinates: 352782, 304237
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6338, -2.6991

Location: Pitchford, Shropshire SY5 7DN

Locality: Pitchford
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 7DN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SJ 5204 - 5304
12/129 Pitchford Hall

Country house. Circa 1560-70 for Adam Ottley with a probably C14 or
C15 core and minor C17, C18 and early C19 alterations and additions;
restored, remodelled and extended in the 1870's and 1880's by George
Devey (1820-86) for Charles Cotes, and further restored in the late
C20. Timber framed with rendered infill panels (with red ochre colouring
on the north front - probably part of Devey's restoration) on coursed
red sandstone rubble plinth, squared and coursed to east; stone
slate roof. E-plan around courtyard to south, service wing and courtyard
to west. 2 storeys and attic, over basement to east; jettied first
floors with moulded bressummers, cable-moulded shafts to first floor
in gable ends, and gables have cambered tie-beams with carved vine
ornament; 5 brick ridge stacks, 3 external lateral brick stacks with
grey sandstone ashlarlower parts, and integral brick end stack to west,
all with clustered star-shaped brick shafts. Framing: square panels
(4 from sole-plate to wall-plate) with diagonal struts forming lozenge
patterns, close studding beneath some windows; some close studding with
middle rail and short straight corner braces. Late C19 wooden mullioned
and transomed windows with leaded casements. South front: 5-window
recessed centre withprojecting gabled wings; 2-storey gabled projections
in re-entrant angles with carved quatrefoil frieze to first-floor middle rail;
central 2-storey porch has 4-centred arched doorway with pair of half-
glazed doors, and first floor with cross-window and carved quatrefoil
frieze to middle rail, and probably C17 louvred bellcote in gable
above with flanking carved scrolls, diagonally-placed square clock, and
small shaped gablet above (finial missing). Recessed garden seat with
chamfered arch in stone ground floor wall of late C19 addition to west
of left-hand gabled wing. North (entrance) front: near symmetrical
C16 range to left with short gabled projections and large stacks
flanking central 2-storey gabled porch with first floor oriel window
and chamfered ogee-arched doorway with 2 boarded doors and approached
by 8 stone steps; asymmetrical late C19 remodelling of C18 or early
C19 range to right in a matching style. 5-window east front with
4 gables of differing size, high plinth, and central probably C18 two-storey
bow window remodelled in late C19. Service wing to west forming one side
of a service courtyard together with the west wing of the E-plan part and
a retaining wall (qv); one storey rendered brick and slate roofed
lean-to adjoining both walls of house with glazing bar sashes, probably
reset carved red sandstone shield with foliage decoration, and short
open loggia with chamfered painted stone posts; wing returning to south
at west end has a coursed sandstone rubble ground floor with triple
segmental arches; stairs within corridor lead up to a C19 timber
framed service porch opposite stable block (qv), with chamfered red brick
ashlar plinth, stone slate roof, moulded bressummer to gable end,
moulded barge boards, and nail-studded boarded door with decorative
wrought iron strap hinges. Interior: largely C17 and late C19 in a
Neo- Tudor style; hall and dining room with late C19 panelling,
moulded cross-beamed ceilings and Tudor -arched stone fireplaces;
drawing room with early C17 fittings including panelling, fluted Ionic
pilasters, fluted frieze, moulded cross-beamed ceiling with thin ribbed
plasterwork and heraldic devices in panels, and stone Tudor-arched
fireplace with carved spandrels and open triangular-pedimented overmantel;
ground-floor rooms in west wing of E-shaped part have C17 fireplaces
with elaborately decorated overmantels; library with fireplace dated
1623; two mid-C18 fireplaces in bedrooms said to be by Pritchard, with
plain and lugged architraves, friezes with masks and carved foliage
decoration, and moulded cornices; L-shaped staircase of c.l700 with
closed string, turned balusters and square newel post; C18 dog-leg
staircase in east wing with closed string, turned balusters, ramped
handrail, square newel posts, and dado panelling; early C19 staircase
in service wing with stick balusters. Internal fittings of interest
throughout. The remains of a former probably C15 two-bay crown-post
roof are visible in the roof space over the west wing of the E-plan
part (see cambered tie beams and mortices). George Devey's alterations
included moving the main entrance to the north side of the house,
removing the wall formerly enclosing the south side of the courtyard,
and creating the present garden with its summer house (qv) and retaining
walls (qv). Pitchford Hall has a very complex architectural history
for which space does not permit a detailed description. V.C.H., Vol. VIII,
p.119-20; B.O.E. pp.227-8; H. Avary Tipping, English Homes, Period IV,
Vol. I, late Stuart 1649-1714, Country Life (1924) pp.1-13; Derek Hudson,
The Story of Pitchford (unpublished).

Listing NGR: SJ5277004236

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.