If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Chapel of the Epiphany
Date Listed: 20 August 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 260234
OS Grid Reference: SJ6368824753
OS Grid Coordinates: 363688, 324753
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8191, -2.5402
HODNET C.P. PEPLOW
SJ 62 SW
9/80 Chapel of the Epiphany
Chapel. 1877-9, by Richard Norman Shaw for Francis Stanier (1838-1900)
of Peplow Hall. Red brick (English bond) with red sandstone ashlar
dressings; timber framed upper parts with red brick nogging, some laid
in herringbone fashion. Tile-hung gable end to west. Plain tile roof.
Nave and chancel in one with gabled north-west porch, lean-to north
vestry and lean-to south chapel. Free late Perpendicular style.
Bellcote marking division between nave and chapel, consisting of lead or
copper-sheathed battered base, timber framed superstructure and plain tile
roof with sprocketed eaves, finial and weathervane. 2 bells. Nave:
buttresses with chamfered offsets; clasping buttresses to west end.
Chamfered offset to timber framed upper parts. Pairs of 2- and 3-light
leaded wooden windows to north and south. Pair of boarded doors to
north with strap hinges, and chamfered and stopped wooden surround.
Porch consisting of low brick walls with chamfered stone copings, timber
framed superstructure with 3-light leaded side windows and chamfered
arched braced entrance with collar and brackets supporting ends of wall
plates. West end: continuous range of 5 two-light leaded wooden
windows and smaller range of 3 two-light leaded wooden windows beneath
tile-hanging in gable above. Chancel: chamfered plinth. Small square-
headed south window of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights with chamfered
reveals. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with trefoils above each,
continuous mullions, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. South chapel:
chamfered plinth. Pair of square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled ogee-
headed lights with chamfered reveals. Central chamfered-arched boarded
door with strap hinges. North vestry: extended to right in C20. Reset
C19 boarded door in right-hand return with strap hinges and window above.
Left-hand return with 2-light double-chamfered mullioned stone window.
Datestone in foot of south-west buttress of nave, inscribed: "This corner
stone of the / chapel of the Epiphany / was laid by Caroline Stanier / in
the presence of the right / reverend G.A. Selwyn D Bishop / of Lichfield
October 17th 1877". Interior: complete late C19 fixtures and fittings,
mostly by Shaw. Ceiled wagon roof, with stencilled ornament to chancel.
Double-chamfered arch to south chapel, the outer chamfer continuous and
the inner resting on carved corbels. Organ arch to south with double
chamfer dying into responds and hoodmould. Chamfered-arched boarded
vestry doorway. String course to chancel, beneath cill to east and
carried over vestry doorway as hoodmould. Chamfered rear arch to east
window and chamfered reveals to south window. Fittings: panelled
sanctuary dated 1903 with carved frieze and billet-ornamented top.
Central carved wooden reredos of 5 bays with central canopied niche.
Gothic altar table. Wrought-iron altar rails. Plain choir stalls.
Elaborate wooden screen by Shaw, with chamfered stone base, 3 wide cusped
ogee-headed openings, shafts with moulded bases and capitals, panelled
spandrels, coving to loftand tall panels in tympanum with traceried
heads. Hexagonal wooden pulpit by Shaw with chamfered stone base,
pair of linenfold panels to each side with billet ornament, cinque-
foiled ogee-headed open panels above with carved spandrels, and frieze
with stylized carved foliage. Wrought-iron lectern with twisted shaft
and tripod base. Plain pews. Octagonal stone font by Shaw with 2
steps, chamfered base, stem with filleted circular and octagonal shafts,
and bowl with alternating carved fleur-de-lys and cruciform panels.
Chancel redecorated in 1903, with wall paintings on the north and south
walls by D. Strachon depicting the Epiphany of our Lord. Encaustic
tiles in chancel. Stained glass in chancel dated 1913 and in south
chapel dated 1901. East window by Heaston, Butler and Bayne.
Tablet on south wall to Caroline Judith Stanier, wife of Francis Stanier,
d. Jan. 29, 1905. The old list descriptions gives the date of the chancel
wall paintings as 1913. Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, pp. 284-6
and p. 418.
Listing NGR: SJ6368824753
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.