If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Ebberston Hall
Date Listed: 10 November 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 329633
OS Grid Reference: SE8924383423
OS Grid Coordinates: 489243, 483423
Latitude/Longitude: 54.2387, -0.6322
Explore more of the area around Ebberston and Yedingham, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.
EBBERSTON A 170
SE 88 SE
10/14 Ebberston Hall
Summer pavilion, now small country house. 1718; wings demolished early C19;
cupola dismantled 1905; ground floor extended c1935. By Colen Campbell for
William Thompson, MP for Scarborough. Vermiculated sandstone front with
ashlar dressings and iron railings. Vermiculated sandstone basement to
rear, with ashlar dressings and quoins; ashlar ground floor with chamfered
vermiculated quoins and iron railings. Main front: ground floor and
basement, 3 bays, the basement extending to form terrace in front of house.
Open staircase to centre with obelisk torch standards at the foot and
wrought iron holders. Semicircular niches with shell heads on either side.
Second flight of steps leads to central 8-panel door with pilaster jambs and
radial fanlight. Rusticated door surround with chamfered voussoirs and
dropped keystone carved with a mask and William Thompson's monogram.
Pedimented Tuscan doorcase of attached columns banded with frosted
rustication and the bust of a faun in the tympanum. 12-pane sashes on
either side with chamfered voussoirs and dropped keystones carved with masks
and foliage. Doorcase entablature continues across house front beneath
projecting cornice surmounted by a balustrade with vases at the corners. At
each end of the terrace are two short flights of steps, against the house,
with no apparent purpose. An iron handrail on slender supports and with
knob finials rises up the main staircase, continues around the terrace and
up the short flights of steps on the terrace. Garden front: ground floor
and basement, 5 bays wide, the 3 centre bays, quoined to basement, breaking
forward. Blocked round arch to centre flanked by two C20 square lattice
cross windows in plain surrounds with raised keystones. The three centre
bays to ground floor form a Tuscan loggia distyle in antis of which the
openings were glazed probably shortly after occupation by William Thompson.
Iron railings and gate with monogram to centre opening remain. The uneven
15-pane sashes have timber architraves the same as those to the stone
flanking windows, with raised keystones. Loggia entablature continues
across the width of the house beneath projecting cornice and blind parapet
with vases to the corners. All break forward over centre bays. End stacks
to flat roof. C20 extension not of special interest. Interior: decorative
scheme has survived intact. Hall: Doric doorcases to main entrance and
loggia. Bolection-moulded panelling. Left front room: bolection-moulded
panelling. Fluted Corinthian pilasters flank the chimneypiece and rear
connecting door and have richly carved capitals and entablature, which
breaks forward over the pilasters. Enriched door, window and alcove
architraves. Coved ceiling. Square fireplace in stone fasciated
architrave. Right front room: bolection-moulded panelling. Enriched
cornice with pairs of carved consoles. Enriched door and window
architraves. Square fireplace in stone bolection-moulded architrave.
To right of fireplace is an alcove cupboard with piers and cornice broken
back in four planes. Left rear room: bolection-moulded panelling. Coved
cornice with carved timber enrichment. Loggia: stone carved bolection-
moulded panelling. Fluted Ionic pilasters flank the panelled double doors
and separate the windows. Doorcase with radial fanlight has a lively
keystone carved as the head of Silenus. Semicircular niches with dolphin
keystones to left and right. Highly enriched entablature, breaking over the
pilasters, beneath coved, panelled ceiling. The house is an integral part
of the watergarden (qv), extensive remains of which survive to the north.
C Campbell, Vitruvius Britannicus, or the British Architect, Vol iii, 1725:
p 15; pl 47.
Architectural Review, xxvi, 1909: pp 231-44.
Country Life, cxvi, 1954: pp 1158 - 1254.
H E Stutchbury, The Architecture of Colen Campbell, 1967: pp 44-47; figs 29-
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire the North Riding, 1966:
p 154; pl 45 (a).
Listing NGR: SE8924383423
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.