Description: Farleigh Hospital and the Church of St George
Date Listed: 27 June 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 33480
OS Grid Reference: ST5184469532
OS Grid Coordinates: 351844, 169532
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4227, -2.6940
ST 56 NW OLD WESTON ROAD (North-west
7/154 Farleigh Hospital and the Church
of St. George
Workhouse for the Bedminster Union, now a hospital. 1837-8 by Scott and Moffat.
Chapel and arcade, dated 1860 by John Norton. The hospital is constructed of
ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; C20 tiled and slate roofs; ashlar stacks.
At the front is an administrative block with a tall central archway with imposts,
a rusticated voussoirs and a keystone dated 1838, surmounted by a pediment. Flanking
single storey, 5 bay wings with glazing bar sash windows and wide, plain pilasters;
the 3rd and 4th windows project in a square bay under a hipped roof; eaves band and
cornice. At the right is a later, low 3 bay extension. Setback behind and at each
side of the administrative block are 6 bay blocks. These connect with the north-east
and south-west blocks of the inner courtyard: 3 storeys; 7 bays, the last one
recessed, to the north; and 6 bays to the south, the last one advanced; all with
4-pane south windows. The rear block has an octagonal, 4 storey central block;
alternate bays are advanced and surmounted by a pediment; central C20 door; clock
on top storey and plain band between second and top floor; glazing bar sash windows;
flanking 3 storey wings of 5 bays. At the rear is the kitchen block: 2 storeys with
a hipped slate roof; l:2:2:2:2:2:l bays of 4-pane sash windows, as an E-plan with the
outer bays projecting as taller, flanking wings; the kitchen wing is connected by
a single storey corridor (now broken through) to the main block. To the south-west
of the administrative block an arcaded walk extends for 9 bays (broken in the centre)
and it leads to the chapel. The chapel (Church of St George is of coursed, squared
rubble with freestone dressings and quoins, and with a plain tiled roof. Nave,
north and south transepts, chancel and vestry, all in an early C13 style with plate
tracery. Two 2-light windows with cusped heads to the nave; two similar windows
to the chancel; 3-light windows to the transepts. 5-light south east window.
4-light north-west window with a foiled circle above. Bell turret on north-west
gable. The interior retains the Early English style font and pulpit. All other
buildings are excluded.
Listing NGR: ST5184469532
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.