70 and 72 Park Lane are a pair of workers' cottages dating from c.1830, part of a terrace.
Reason for Listing
Nos 70 and 72 Park Lane, Bradford, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: they are part of a terrace of cottages using local materials in a style adapted to provide accommodation for workers in the rapidly growing town
* Date: they date to c.1830, at the beginning of the building boom which transformed Bradford
* Survival: the pair retains original features, including stone slate roofs and an outside privy, and No 70 also has its original footprint as well as a staircase
A row of buildings on the site of Nos 70 and 72 Park Lane is shown on the 1852 OS 1:10560 map. The houses are said to date from the 1830s. This area of Bradford, to the south-west of the city centre was expanding throughout the C19 and was characterised by terraces of small workers' houses, including back-to-back houses of which many survive. The footprint of No 70 appears unchanged, but No 72 has a large extension to the rear.
The whole terrace, from No 60 to No 72, was designated in 1977 in 4 separate list entries which also include 1-11 Holme Top Lane.
The houses are constructed of sandstone 'bricks' and have stone-slate roofs, that of No 70 having been recently restored after it had been replaced with concrete tiles. The terrace is set back from the street behind a small front yard. Each house has a square-jambed doorway with a modern plastic door to the right, and a two-light window with mullion to the left. On the first floor of each is a two light window and a small single light over the doorway. No 70 has uPVC top opening window frames while No 72 has similar windows but timber framed. No 70 has a stone-built 'nettie' (toilet building) attached to the front wall of the yard; No 72's has been removed. To the rear No 70 has two uPVC framed windows to each floor, the right-hand ground-floor window being adapted to form an entrance. No 72 has three varied timber-framed first-floor windows, and a C20 extension occupying the full width of the ground floor.
Internally No 70 has a small entrance vestibule from which the stairs rise, and a door to the left leading into the main room. A small kitchen is situated in the far right corner with a door giving access to the cellar. The fireplace is blocked and the rear window has been extended to form an exit to the back yard. Upstairs, thin partition walls have been inserted to form two bedrooms and a bathroom. The interior of No 72 was not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.