Description: Methodist Church Tower
Date Listed: 23 June 1992
English Heritage Building ID: 387742
OS Grid Reference: TA0824830019
OS Grid Coordinates: 508248, 430019
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7553, -0.3597
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA 02 NE PRINCES AVENUE
680-1/8/305 (Southwest side)
23-JUN-92 Methodist Church Tower
(Formerly listed as:
METHODIST CHURCH ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHO
OL AND BOUNDARY WALL)
Methodist church tower with porch. 1905, altered 1995. By Sir Alfred Gelder. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Free Gothic Revival style. Plinth.
South-west tower with spire now attached to modern church.
Battered south-west tower, 2 stages, has diagonal buttresses and a central buttress on each side, all with brick and stone banding to the second stage. Diagonal buttresses are topped with octagonal pinnacles with 4 niches and domed tops. Intermediate buttresses have short square pinnacles with flat tops. South side has 2 staggered round-headed windows on the lower stage, and a round-headed door to right. Bell stage has on each side 2 moulded segmental arches containing a louvred double lancet opening. Octagonal spire has a panelled band and ball finial.
South-west porch, at the foot of the tower, has shallow coped gable and parapet. To west, pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould, flanked by buttresses topped with panelled pedestals.
The original church was demolished in 1995.
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 284).
Listing NGR: TA0824830019
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.