If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Former Church of St Denis at the Kennels, Harewood Park, Harewood

Description: Former Church of St Denis at the Kennels, Harewood Park

Grade: II
Date Listed: 26 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 398900

OS Grid Reference: SO5302728068
OS Grid Coordinates: 353027, 228068
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9491, -2.6848

Location: Harewood, County of Herefordshire HR2 8JS

Locality: Harewood
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 8JS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

HAREWOOD CP
SO 52 NW
3/42 Former Church of St Denis
at The Kennels, Harewood
Park

GV II

Parish church, now store. Rebuilt 1864 with later additions. Sandstone
ashlar and dressings with tile and Welsh slate roofs. Combined nave and
chancel of four bays, north vestry and cyclindrical bell-tower, south
porch and south chapel in late Romanesque and Early English styles.
West elevation has oculus in gable with a pair of lozenge panels beneath,
arcade of five round arches supported by attached shafts with cushion
capitals, the inner pair glazed, the centre and outer pair blind, central
pilaster beneath arcade rising to moulded string, flanking pilasters.
North elevation has four lancets each under label, the left one masked by
cyclindrical bell-tower with octagonal pitched slate roof, supported on
circle of short shafts forming bell-opening, roof of bell-tower is penetrated
by chimney pot and has finial at apex, four buttresses with off-sets and deep
plinths rise to eaves between the lancets; vestry, to right of bell-tower has
two windows with 4-centred heads and entry from west above the lintel of which
is a trefoiled typanum. East elevation has three stepped moulded lancets
flanked by a pair of weathered angle buttresses, above the central lancet is
a trefoiled opening set in a moulded circular margin and a gable-cross, on
the left is a trefoiled light to the south chapel. South elevation has three
cinquefoiled circular lights above roof of porch separated by three gabled
weathered flying buttresses to left and centre with one angle buttress to
right-hand side; under the two left-hand cinquefoiled lights is a porch in
the form of a two-bay loggia with a pair of 2-centred trefoiled openings
flanked by lower square-headed openings with round typana above, each supported
on squat columns from high plinth, the entry into the loggia is via the right-
hand opening, to the right of which is the south chapel entered by a west-
facing round headed doorway of one order with imposts breaking out into a
label moulding; main entrance is west bay of loggia is similar to the last
but with a wooden typanum; around the south door of the church, within the
loggia, are four wall monuments including a marble plaque to Henry Hoskins,
died 1813, and a marble aedicule with broken pediment for Bennett Hoskyns,
died 1679. Interior has four-bay quadripartite stone vault with chamfered
ribs rising from part octagonal chamfered and tapered corbels, a moulded
string course runs around the west and north sides at a level corresponding
with the bottom of the corbels, whereas on the south side the string course
is level with the abaci of the corbels, at the east end the lower string
course becomes a red-brown and white marble frieze returning westwards around
the altar position, on the frieze are angels, grotesques and the inscription:
"AMEN: BLESSING AND GLORY: AND WISDOM: THANKSGIVING AND HONOR: AND POWER AND
MIGHT: BE UNTO OUR GOD: FOR EVER AND EVER: AMEN"; inner lancets in east wall
have clustered Purbeck-like shafts with rings on the floor in the south-east
corner is a floor tile, possibly medieval, showing two figures, the right one
wearing a crown, holding hands above a tree; to the west of the two altar steps
is a marble floor slab for Sir John Hoskins, Knight, died 1705, with achieve-
ment in bas-relief set in an oval panel. South wall has deeply moulded round
arches to south doorway and chapel, the latter on moulded imposts, engaged
squared shafts with deep bases; upper 2-centred chamfered arches behind outer
cinquefoil lights are on short columns. West wall has two round-headed windows
linked by continuous roughly cut unfinished imposts. North wall has at its
east end a recess, probably early C20, with chamfered and moulded 2-centred
head and head-stops and doorway to newel stairs leading down to vestry, its
east window has stained glass depicting The Virgin inscribed: "S MARIA MATER DEI/
ELIZ EMMA UX JOSEPHI PARRY, its next window to the west is pictorially illegible
and inscribed "ANN: FIL: NATU MAXIMA JOSEPHI DE ALLINGTON PARRY"; the second
window from the west end depicts St George and the Dragon; the westernmost window
shows "FAITH" and is inscribed: "BLANCHE FIL UNICA JOSPEHI PARRY". (RCHM Vol I,
p 83-4).


Listing NGR: SO5302728068

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.