Former Captains House Hms Pembroke, Gillingham
Description: Former Captains House Hms Pembroke
Date Listed: 6 June 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 462540
OS Grid Reference: TQ7654569601
OS Grid Coordinates: 576545, 169601
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3980, 0.5365
Location: Pembroke Road, Gillingham, Medway ME4 4RN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ7669NE CENTRAL AVENUE, Pembroke
686-1/2/93 (North side)
06/06/84 Former Captain's House, HMS Pembroke
(Formerly Listed as:
CENTRAL AVENUE, Hms Pembroke
Captain's House at HMS Pembroke)
House and office for the Captain of the barracks, now offices.
Dated 1903, by Sir Henry Pilkington. Red brick and Portland
stone dressings, 3 ridge stacks with sunken panels, and slate
STYLE: Free Edwardian Baroque.
PLAN: L-shaped double-depth.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-bay range. Set on
rising ground, the right-hand entrance gable has impost bands
to each floor and a cill band to the attic, with a coped gable
with segmental pediment; the right-hand corner has an ashlar
loggia with Ionic pilasters to a dentil cornice, open round
arches to front and right-hand side, and an inner doorway and
panelled door. Single-light ground-floor and first-floor
windows with 4/4-pane sashes, and a 3-light attic mullion
window, and 2 cruciform panels either side of the first-floor
window inscribed 1903 and ER.
The main elevation to the left, and the rear, have a
full-height casement; main elevation has wide basement and
ground-floor 3-light canted bays with cross windows to the
ground floor, to a parapet; paired 6/6-pane sashes above, and
large gabled eaves dormers with 3-light mullion windows and a
cornice over; the right-hand bay has a plain basement doorway,
paired windows above and 2 narrow first-floor windows. Rear
has a pedimented gable at the opposite end to that at the
front, and a basement doorway.
Right-hand rear wing, with a parapeted stair tower in the
re-entrant with two 4/4-pane sashes in each side.
INTERIOR: a right-hand passage divided by pilasters to round
arches, to a dogleg stair with square newels and balusters;
plain stone fire surrounds.
HISTORY: part of a carefully planned early C20 barracks with
the barracks church, mess blocks (Central Ave.), barracks
(Pasley Rd), (qqv) and other ancillary buildings.
Listing NGR: TQ7654469602
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.