Description: Gravestone of George Corson at Ngr 2688 3916
Date Listed: 11 September 1996
English Heritage Building ID: 466213
OS Grid Reference: SE2688039160
OS Grid Coordinates: 426880, 439160
Latitude/Longitude: 53.8480, -1.5929
SE23NE OTLEY ROAD, Lawnswood
714-1/6/938 (West side (off))
Gravestone of George Corson at NGR
Gravestone. 1910. Granite. In the form of a Celtic ring cross
with 5 bosses, on a low pedestal, approx 1.75m high overall.
Raised lettering in sunken plaque on the base: 'IN LOVING
MEMORY OF/ GEORGE CORSON/ ARCHITECT/ SON OF JAMES CORSON/ OF
BEREHOLM, DUMFRIES/ NOV 18th 1910, AGED 80/ GOD IS LOVE'. On
the right return of the base: 'HARRIOT MARY/ GOUGH CORSON/ HIS
WIFE/ DIED MAY 4th 1928/ AGED 77 YEARS/ AT REST'. The kerbs
have been lowered.
HISTORICAL NOTE: George Corson practised in Leeds from 1849
until c1901 and was one of the city's most prominent
architects, first president of the Leeds Architectural Society
(founded 1876) and re-elected as President of the re-named
Leeds and Yorkshire Architectural Society in 1897-99. Linstrum
(1978) catalogued over 40 buildings by him, in Classical and
Gothic Revival style, many of which are listed. They include:
East Parade offices; No.28 Great George Street; Spenfield,
Otley Road; Grand Theatre; Municipal Buildings and School
Board Offices, Calverley Street. He designed the buildings and
layout of Lawnswood Cemetery and his was the first grave in
the new extension (Wilson, p.36).
(Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture:
London: 1978-: 375; Wilson, T Butler: Two Leeds Architects:
Cuthbert Brodrick and George Corson: 1937-).
Listing NGR: SE2688039160
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.