Church of Saint Ann (Building Number 1/65), Portsmouth
Description: Church of Saint Ann (Building Number 1/65)
Date Listed: 25 September 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 474226
OS Grid Reference: SU6317100567
OS Grid Coordinates: 463171, 100567
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8012, -1.1049
Location: Sunny Walk, Portsmouth PO1 3PX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE
774-1/29/185 (South side)
HM Naval Base
25.9.72 Church of St Ann (Building No 1/65)
Church. 1785-86; bomb-damaged 1941; restored 1955-6. Possibly by Marquand, a Navy Board surveyor, working under Samuel Wyatt at Admiralty House, contractors Thomas Parlby & Sons. Red brick in Flemish bond; roof concealed.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 5-bay galleried nave (originally longer) with narrower 1- bay "crossing" and narrower-still 1-bay chancel with north and south vestries. At west end, cupola with bell. Plinth. Windows have brick arches, segmental on ground floor, round to gallery; ashlar sills; and C20 metal windows. Stepped eaves with ashlar cornice below coped parapet. West end: (rebuilt 1955-8); 3-bays. Corner pilasters support corniced pediment in which is blind oculus. Steps up to central pedimented ashlar porch with wide double door in architrave. Outer bays each have a flat- arched window linked by recessed brick panel to round- arched upper window; central upper window with keystone. Cupola (reconstructed) has columns supporting entablature and metalled dome surmounted by elaborate
weather-vane on ball. INTERIOR: gallery on 3 sides (reconstructed 1955-56) carried on columns with fluted capitals has panelled corniced front, and at centre early C18 carved wooden coat of arms of the Gifford family, incorporating royal coat of arms, figures of Justice (blindfolded and carrying scales) and Fame (with trumpet), and dolphins (Sir William Gifford was Commissioner of the dockyard from 1702-1705). Nave and chancel have panelled walls and ceiling cornice. Chancel arch flanked by pilasters surmounted by urns and with swagged drapes over arch. East window has pilasters with acanthus leaf capitals and "scalloped" archivolt with central laurel wreath; swagged drapes over. To nave ceiling, large elaborate chandelier roundel with acanthus leaf motifs and decorated scalloping; elegant pewter chandelier of 1704 (gilded 1956). Marble font of 1856. Eagle lectern 1882, Gothick-style wooden pulpit of 1906. Various C19 marble memorials.
HISTORY: the oldest surviving chapel in a navy yard and part of a good group with the ropery buildings and Commissioner's House (qqv). Graded to reflect the extensive mid C20 rebuilding of the front and refurnishing of the interior.
(Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 71-72; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 436- 7; The Church of St Ann in Her Majesty's Naval Base at Portsmouth: 1991).
Listing NGR: SU6317100567
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.