Description: Corporation Bridge
Date Listed: 30 June 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 478815
OS Grid Reference: TA2705709947
OS Grid Coordinates: 527057, 409947
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5707, -0.0828
TA2709NW CORPORATION ROAD
699-1/17/28 Corporation Bridge
Electrically-powered Sherzer rolling lift road bridge. 1925 by
Alfred C Gardner, Docks Engineer to London and North Eastern
Railway; Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow, contractors, for
Grimsby Corporation. Restored c1980.
Cast-iron and steel bridge with timber-clad control box, brick
and ashlar abutments. 4 spans resting on short cylindrical
piers, those flanking the lifting bascule over the main
channel having timber buffers. Bridge has lattice girder
parapets which are ramped-up to the lifting section. Ornate
cast-iron piers above the abutments, each with plinth, moulded
cornice and lamp standards each carrying 5 lights. The plinths
bear plaques on 2 sides, the north-east plinth with a
commemorative inscription recording details of construction
and the opening of the bridge by HRH the Prince of Wales on 19
July 1925; the other plinths have plaques bearing polychrome
painted reliefs of the Grimsby Corporation Arms. Makers names
on girders include: Skinningrove, Frodingham Iron and Steel
Co., Dalzell Steel GK. Control box has wrap-around window with
glazing bars, hipped roof with ridge louvre.
Bridge spans dock near Victoria Mills, Victoria Street (qv)
and replaced a swing bridge.
(Grimsby Planning Department: Victoria Mill Conservation Area:
Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby
Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough
Council: 1990-: 5-7; Grimsby Borough Council: Top Town Trail:
Grimsby: 1989-: NO.38).
Listing NGR: TA2705709947
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.