If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


The Cathedral School, Llandaff

Description: The Cathedral School

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 2 December 1952
Cadw Building ID: 13654

OS Grid Coordinates: 315676, 177885
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4931, -3.2148

Location: 301 Western Ave, Cardiff, CF5 2BA, UK CF5 2YH

Locality: Llandaff
County: Cardiff
Country: Wales
Postcode: CF5 2YH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
On the east side of Cardiff Road and part of an important group of buildings at the south entrance to Llandaff village.

History
1744-51, built by Admiral Thomas Mathews as Llandaff Court to replace the ancient manor house of Bryn-y-Gynnen, inhabited by a branch of the Mathews family since 1553. Admiral Mathews did not, however, ever live in the house. It was, by tradition, designed by John Wood the elder who was working on the Cathedral 1734-52, but its quality suggests that it is a copy-book design by a builder, like the many houses of this size in Wiltshire that it resembles. It was the Bishop's Palace 1850-1939, with Bishop Alfred Ollivant (Bishop 1849-82) its most noted tenant. It was he who added the Chapel in 1858-9 (qv) and probably he who put the main entrance porch on the rear elevation. The house suffered a severe fire in 1914 which led to the reconstruction of the roof and attics by W D Caroe. This has led to a roof hipped overall rather than within a parapet as it was before. This form was not fully achieved until after it became the home of the Cathedral School in 1958. Meanwhile the building had been used by American troops 1942-5 and then by St. Michaels' College (qv) 1945-58.

Interior
Double pile central entrance plan with the staircase in the rear right centre. This is a fine contemporary wood staircase with slender turned balusters with knops, three to each tread, and a softwood handrail with fielded panelling to wall string. The handrail has been heightened by an added modern brass rail. The stair rises to the attic and is grained on the lower floor but painted above, the more probable original treatment. The reorientation of the entrance from south to north must have been done by Bishop Ollivant to make it more convenient for the Cathedral and this has led to the apparent oddity of the stair position if the house is entered this way instead of from the south through the columned hall. Central corridor across the house. The Headmaster's study has some re-arranged pilaster work forming bookcases and said to have come from the Choir of John Wood's ''temple'' in Bishop Ollivant's time, but the interior is now otherwise plain. Upper floor not seen, Attics and roof rebuilt post fire.

Exterior
Built of Bath limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs on the main classical south-east front, rendered with ashlar dressings on the rear elevation. Both south-east and north-west fronts are of three storeys and nine bays. South-east front of ashlar with long and short quoins, bands and moulded cornice. Double hung 6 over 6 pane sashes with moulded stone architraves and keystones; central pedimented Doric portico at top of a broad flight of steps. Hipped roof with three large multi-flued stacks.
North-west front rendered; central C19 projecting stone porch with double timber doors. Sash windows as before. Area wrought iron railings which have uprights with spear-headed finials and standards with urn finials.
There are considerable late C20 extensions added to the east side of the building. The west side has the Chapel (qv).

Reason for Listing
Included as a fine mid C18 country house possibly designed by John Wood the elder which has an important historic connection with the Bishops of Llandaff and the Cathedral.

References
John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan, Penguin Books, 1995, p 259.
John B Hilling, Llandaff Past and Present, Stewart Williams, 1978, p 93.
The Llandaff Society, Llandaff (The Archive Photographs Series), Tempus Publishing, p 16.
RCAHM Wales, The Greater Houses of Glamorgan, HMSO, 1982.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
On the east side of Cardiff Road and part of an important group of buildings at the south entrance to Llandaff village.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.