Church of St Edyern, Old St Mellons
Description: Church of St Edyern
Date Listed: 28 January 1963
Cadw Building ID: 13868
OS Grid Coordinates: 322057, 181988
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5309, -3.1238
Location: Eastern Ave, Cardiff CF3, UK CF3 6YA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
In the centre of the still identifiable hamlet of Llanedeyrn though close to motorway, housing and business developments. Standing in the centre of a roughly triangular sloping churchyard, the main entrance with double iron gates at W.
Medieval church, restored in 1888. An early Christian site; St Edeyrn reputedly founded a religious community on the banks of the River Rumney (Renis) in C5; he died 522 and is reputedly buried in the churchyard. Normans established a new church on site as Chapel of Ease of St Mary's Cardiff. Subsequently in C12 under Robert Fitzhamon Lord of Glamorgan and Cardiff chapel was recognised as property of Tewkesbury Abbey; in 1236 it was returned to Bishop of Llandaff, becoming a separate parish. Large Perpendicular windows are c 1500 and tower probably early C16. Chancel E wall rebuilt 1888. Parish retains plate of C17 and C18, some on loan to National Museum of Wales. Since listing a Welsh slate roof has replaced the machine tiles, the exterior has been rendered apart from quoins and cast iron down pipes have been added to tower. Former open fire sited in SE nave, relating to the still visible external chimney.
Interior is rendered. Flight of 5 steps rises from W nave to tower incorporating a stone bench; separate flight of 3 steep steps to shouldered tower doorway at NW. 7-bay boarded waggon roof to nave. Small octagonal chalice-shaped font on a square stone base; niche in splay of nearby SW window. Small Norman windows in N and S walls. Narrow pointed-arched entrance to stone stairs to former rood loft at NE; at foot are 2 small memorials, one late C18 to members of Robotham family of Cross Tregarreg and the other 1840 to Cecilia Waters of Duck Pool Farm; rectangular rood access opening above; another wall monument on NW nave wall to Rev William Edwards rector of Michaelstone (d1788). Plain wide pointed chancel arch. Chancel of 3 bays with arch-braced boarded roof with heavy dentilled wallplate: this and nave roof both C19. Late medieval niche with crocketed canopy in sanctuary; aumbry recess in N wall; E window has stained glass 1892 by Powell's; C17 ledger slabs in floor; early C19 memorial tablet to William Thomas of Coed y Gores. Tower contains 5 bells of 1766 hung with an additional bell in a new frame of 1994 but retaining the earlier frame adjacent.
Medieval church. Plan of nave, very slightly lower chancel, S porch and W tower. Of limewashed stone with Welsh slate roof. W tower has embattled moulded parapet and string course; to E and W 2 small pierced stone lights in a rectangular frame to belfry; N and S sides have stone louvred belfry openings of 2 lights with four-centred arched heads; S side also has small lights with spandrels at two levels, the lower with a sundial above; N side also has a stone tiled tower staircase projection; W side has moulded pointed arched doorway with hoodmould, high plinth and possible date 15..; tower plinth is battered. S porch has battered walls incorporating some unusually large stone blocks and ventilation holes; moulded pointed-arched doorway without capitals, worn plinth; inside porch is a flag floor, stone benches and a stone barrel vault, all unrendered; plain pointed chamfered arched inner door; on ground adjacent to E wall is the socket stone of the former churchyard cross. S nave has left (W) of porch a window of paired cusped lights with chamfered mullion; right (E) of porch is a narrow lancet, then a later large 3-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arched head and deep hoodmould; nearby further E at eaves level is a 2-light window to former roodloft; above is an unusually sited tall round chimney stack with ring mouldings, broached to a hexagonal base. Chancel of equal width has a S window of paired cusped lights in a rectangular surround and adjacent a low pointed-arched chamfered priests' door, blocked; 3-light C19 E window with reticulated tracery and narrow hood; N chancel has single lancet with ogee-arched head. N nave has shallow projection for the rood stair at E end, large 3 light Perpendicular 4-centred arched window with deep hoodmould adjacent, matching that to S; further small lancet to W.
Reason for Listing
Listed II* as a small medieval church retaining much of its historic fabric.
St Edeyrn's Church leaflet;
Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol 1, 1901, p259;
Newman J, Buildings of Wales Series, Glamorgan, 1995, p381;
Llanedarne Tithe map 1846;
Ordnance Survey, First Edition, scale 1:2500, surveyed 1875-82.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.Notes:
In the centre of the still identifiable hamlet of Llanedeyrn though close to motorway, housing and business developments. Standing in the centre of a roughly triangular sloping churchyard, the main e
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.