Parish Church of St.james,greenfield Street, Holywell
Description: Parish Church of St.james,greenfield Street
Date Listed: 26 July 1951
Cadw Building ID: 428
OS Grid Coordinates: 318533, 376276
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2769, -3.2219
Location: Hillside Ct, HolywellFlintshire CH8 7PN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Holywell Castle Mound, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Immediately above and to E of St Winefride's Well Chapel; churchyard to S. Also reached from the lower end of Well Street.
C14 Perpendicular church, largely rebuilt 1769-70 (possibly to the desgins of Thomas Meredith) and then remodelled, principally by addition of chancel, in 1884-5 by Matthew Wyatt (cost £3000). Further alterations in 1905. A church was founded here in C7 by St Beuno and was originally dedicated to his niece St Winefride; the rededication (ca 1770) may have been made to dissociate the Protestant church from the Catholic practices below at St Winefride's Well. Rubble construction, coursed to substantially C14 tower; low pitched roof
The 'preaching-box' interior is rectangular and galleried; 4-bay nave, with full height aisles, and apsidal chancel. The underpinned late-medieval tower arch has sunk wave moulding detail as do the continuously moulded 3-order arch openings to either side. Masonry corbelled to SW corner for vice stairs with low chamfered arch doorway. Raked galleries carried on low cylindrical stone piers with moulded capitals - these are reused from the late medieval church. Panelled gallery front and C18 tapered columns above; the easternmost bays of the gallery on both sides were removed during the 1884-5 work. Plain ceiling with modillion bracket cornice to nave and simpler moulded cornice to aisles. Semicircular coffered chancel arch with dentil cornice to imposts and pilasters with egg and dart capitals; frescoed spandrels of trumpeting angels; similar detail to apse. Panelled dado behind alter and frieze of copies of Italian Renaissance paintings. Ionic pilasters flank E end windows.
Low chancel screen, pulpit and font all added in 1884-5; War Memorial stained glass in the aspe by Clayton and Bell. Classical inner porch. Monuments include one to vestry inscribed T M 1658 with coat of arms and one by Flaxman (1805) to Paul Panton in Grecian manner; many other C18 and C19 monuments. C13(?) headless effigy of a priest (discovered during the rebuilding in 1769 and now at W end). Former box-pews reused for panelling around walls.
3-stage W tower with added crenellated parapet and stepped buttresses to W; C18 enlargements embraced it to N and S, creating broad 3-window W front. 2-light belfry openings, 4-centred to top on W face; Perp style 3-light W window with label, inserted in 1884-5. The C18 work created the main body of the church while the fenestration of the 6-window side elevations relates to Matthew Wyatt's work; Italianate 2-light windows - round-headed to gallery and camber-headed below; the N side includes one full height window. Similar windows also to the apse. S side has pedimented porch to the westernmost bay with Doric columns, round-arched doorway with keystone and fine lamp bracket; panelled double doors. Low vestry range to N side added in 1905 (in poor condition at time of inspection - Spring 1990); depressed ogee arch doorway.
Reason for Listing
Graded II* for its medieval origins and assocations with St Winefride's Chapel and Well (Grade I)
Hubbard, "Clwyd", p. 373.
D Thomas, "The Parish of Holywell", (1964).
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.