This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.13 / 55°7'48"N
Longitude: -1.5295 / 1°31'46"W
OS Eastings: 430098
OS Northings: 581841
OS Grid: NZ300818
Mapcode National: GBR K9R3.NT
Mapcode Global: WHC30.GBW2
Entry Name: Pair of Chapels in Cowpen Cemetery
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236002
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH COWPEN ROAD
NZ 38 SW
2/38 Pair of chapels
in Cowpen Cemetery
Cemetery Chapels, c.1875. Tooled stone with ashlar dressings; roof of mixed
Welsh and Lakeland slates with terracotta ridge. Free C14 style. North
elevation in 3 parts: central porch with tall moulded arch, stepped diagonal
buttresses and corner pinnacles linked by flying buttresses to octagonal
turret with spire, rising from crown of arch. To left and right gable ends
of chapels, with 3-light windows and trefoiled panels in gables, joined to
porch by lower lobbies with cinquefoil-headed windows and parapets with
pierced quatrefoils. Returns of chapels each 3 bays, with lancet windows;
lower bay with 2-light window to rear of each chapel, linked by C20 crematorium
in same style.
Immediately left and right of porch entrance, standing just clear of wall,
small flat-topped stones with incised C (left) and U (right).
Cowpen Cemetery, with chapels for 'Church of England and Dissenters' was
opened in 1877.
Listing NGR: NZ3009881841
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings