This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8521 / 51°51'7"N
Longitude: -4.3337 / 4°20'1"W
OS Eastings: 239367
OS Northings: 219632
OS Grid: SN393196
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TFQK
Mapcode Global: VH3LG.TQT1
Entry Name: Peterwell
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9579
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down private drive off St Clears Road to W of Starling Park Wood.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial villa of c1840, not marked on 1837 tithe map. Owned in earlier C20 with Nantyfelin by the Soppitt family. A. Soppitt, solicitor, was Clerk of the Peace for the Borough in 1920. The interior has features similar to John Nash's villas: lantern-light to stair and curved landing doors. Arched windows are similar to some on Picton Terrace of the later 1830s.
Substantial detached house in unpainted roughcast with hipped slate roof and wide bracketed eaves. Centre valley, with 2 hips to NW elevation. Two storeys, 3-window S garden facade has 16-pane sashes to first floor, the outer ones with marginal glazing bars, 2 ground floor arched sashes with similar marginal glazing bars, radiating bars to head and raised stucco surrounds, and central flat-headed French window. The French window has curved head across 2 top panes with decorated spandrels, and is approached by slate steps. Painted stone sills. Tall red brick end stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.
Right side has 2 roughcast stacks, no windows to left end of front range, and 2-window range to right. Timber doorcase with open pediment on consoles. Nine-panel door with fanlight with radial and marginal glazing bars. Four stone steps to door flanked by wrought iron rail. To right is later canted bay-window on a roughcast semi-circular base with stone sill under 3 12-pane sashes with and canted hipped slate roof. Upper floor has 2 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills, the right one smaller than left. Single storey range to right, unpainted roughcast with gabled slate roof, 12-pane sash to centre. Cast iron gutters and small end stack.
Fielded-panelled 9-panel doors, earlier C19 staircase with lantern. Curved landing doors, earlier C19 fireplaces and panelled shutters to reception rooms.
Included as a substantial early C19 house of good, formal design, with typical features of the period and a well-preserved interior.
Other nearby listed buildings