This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8518 / 51°51'6"N
Longitude: -4.3349 / 4°20'5"W
OS Eastings: 239282
OS Northings: 219600
OS Grid: SN392196
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TFDT
Mapcode Global: VH3LG.TQ58
Entry Name: Pontgarreg Cottage
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9582
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated set back from road opposite Millbank Road.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse, C18 altered in C19. Marked on the 1837 Tithe Map as owned by Elizabeth Edwards of Rhydygors and occupied by Simon Thomas. The farm was owned by the Edwinsford estate in the late C18 when leased by Charles Nott, father to Sir William Nott (1782-1845), who came to Carmarthen in 1794 as proprietor of the original Ivy Bush Inn, in King Street, and after 1803 of the new Ivy Bush Hotel in Spilman Street. Restored in 1994 when evidence of successive roofs was found, the current roof said to be of oak, possibly the fourth.
Farmhouse, attached at W end to altered outbuilding (now separate and not included in listing) rubble stone (formerly rendered) with gabled slate roof and renewed red brick stacks. Two-storey, 3-window range offset to left with centre door in C20 open-sided timber porch. Six-panel door with glazed upper panels. Ground floor has later C19 plate-glass horned tripartite sashes with timber lintels, each set further out than window above. Upper floor has small plate-glass horned sash to centre with timber lintel and outer similar sashes, but with heads to eaves. Painted stone sills throughout. Late C20 eaves board and cast iron rainwater goods. Right gable end has first floor C20 window with brick sides. Altered 2-storey rendered NE rear wing.
Panelled timber doors, some 6-panel, remainder 4-panel. Heavy beams to ground floor now covered. Room to right has arched alcoves and reeded stucco cornice. Dog-leg stair with renewed balusters. Bedroom to right has deep coved stucco ceiling with reeded cornice. Rear extension contains C19 service stair. First floor plain stucco arch.
Included as a vernacular farmhouse within the Carmarthen parish, with some good surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings