This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.926 / 52°55'33"N
Longitude: -4.1312 / 4°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 256833
OS Northings: 338641
OS Grid: SH568386
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MQY6
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JQ06
Entry Name: Y Cymro and house
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85351
Location: In a terrace of shops fronting the street.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the 3rd quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A 3-storey 3-window shop and house of roughcast painted cream, with slate roof on projecting eaves and stone end stacks. The house entrance on the R has a recessed fielded-panel door under a round-headed overlight. The shop front is framed by plain pilasters, a two-tier rascia and moulded cornice. It has windows of 2 round-headed lights with slender glazing bars, and recessed central half-glazed fielded-panel door, above which the overlight has been replaced by a painted sign. Upper storeys are strongly designed, with continuous sill bands to windows, which are 8-pane sashes in the middle storey, the central two paired, and all linked by a continuous string course which forms their segmentally arched heads. The upper storey has 4-pane sash windows.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved C19 town house and shop of definite character, with good original detail including shop front. Forms a pair with No 10 and contributes to the historical integrity of Bank Place.
Other nearby listed buildings