This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.868 / 51°52'4"N
Longitude: -2.116 / 2°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 392111
OS Northings: 218825
OS Grid: SO921188
Mapcode National: GBR 1L4.ZSX
Mapcode Global: VH94F.89QW
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135086
Location: Shurdington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51
Civil Parish: Shurdington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Shurdington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHURDINGTON CHURCH ROAD
SO 91 NW (north side)
4/135 Church of St Paul
Anglican parish church. Early C14, C15, restored and extended
1852. Nave and north aisle: limestone rubble. Chancel and
vestry: coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower: ashlar.
Timber-framed porch with ashlar side walls. Nave with north aisle
and south porch; chancel with vestry on the north; west tower.
Nave south wall: single Decorated 2-light window with a quatrefoil
and a scroll-moulded hood; square stone sundial dated 1655, with
metal gnomon, upper right; double C19 plank door with C19 flat-
chamfered triangular-headed surround and moulded hood within porch.
C19 gabled porch with pointed-arched entrance; trefoil-headed
windows to the returns and decorative barge boarding. C19
chancel: two trefoil-headed lancets flanking a C19 monument to
Samuel Harrison, died 1811 and other members of that family, set
into a trefoil-headed niche with ballflower decoration at the top;
2-light Decorated window with quatrefoil at the east end; eroded
monument set back within a flat-chamfered surround to the left;
trefoil-headed lancet to the north wall. Flat-roofed C19 vestry
with 2-light stone-mullioned casement with trefoil-headed lights
and foliate spandrels on the east, similar window on the north.
The vestry partly obscures a 3-light Perpendicular window lighting
the east end of the north aisle. Two-light window with quatrefoil
to the north wall of the north aisle; small plank doorway with
decorative hinges within a flat-chamfered surround, the whole is
set back within a neo-Norman style round-headed surround with
tympanum with fish-scale decoration and a hood with lozenge
decoration in relief; 3-light almost round-headed window with
restored hollow-moulded mullions at the west end. Early C14 two
st-age tower: moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses; large stairs
projection on the south side with single-light windows; 3-light
Perpendicular window on the west; moulded string between the
stages; single-light pointed belfry windows with stone louvres;
ribbed broached spire with four lucarnes and weather cock.
Stepped capping and upright cross finials at the gable ends.
Church interior: 3 1/2 bay nave arcade with octagonal piers and
capitals and pointed archways; tall pointed flat-chamfered tower
arch; pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on flat-chamfered
imposts with simple responds. Traces of wall painting above rood
beam set into wall over the chancel arch. Panelled wagon roof to
the nave with moulded beams with foliate bosses highlighted in gold
and red at the intersections; large carved face with beard,
possibly a green man, at the centre of one tie beam;, foliate boss
at the same---point on the westernmost tie beam. C19 wagon roof to
the chancel with stone wall 'posts' below the wall plate,
ballflower decoration at the top and angels at the bottom of the
wall posts. Early unpanelled wagon roof to the north aisle with a
ridge purlin; ribbed stone vault with central bell-rope hole to
the tower. Stone flag floor. C14 octagonal stone font at the
base of the tower. Late C19-early C20 pews and wooden pulpit.
Late C19-early C20 altar table with pierced tracery; ornate stone
reredos comprising trefoil-headed niches with foliate decoration
behind the altar. C17-early C18 carved oak chair within the-
chancel. Three circular wrought iron hanging lights/candlesticks.
Hatchment bearing the arms of George III at the base of the tower.
C19 stained glass to the chancel and the tower window.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, The Vale
and the Forest of Dean, 1980)
Listing NGR: SO9211118825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings