This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0773 / 53°4'38"N
Longitude: -2.7326 / 2°43'57"W
OS Eastings: 351017
OS Northings: 353593
OS Grid: SJ510535
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.B2QS
Mapcode Global: WH88X.0X17
Entry Name: Bickerton War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438547
Location: Bickerton, Cheshire East, SY14
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Bickerton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Bickerton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
First World War memorial, unveiled on 19 October 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Darley Dale sandstone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a circa 4m tall Celtic-style wheel-head cross with interlace detailing in relief, which is set upon an angular, tapered shaft, with chamfered edges. The shaft stands upon a rectangular plinth with a chamfered base and inscriptions to all four sides. The plinth is set upon a three-stepped, rectangular base.
On the E facing side of the plinth is a carved cross beneath which the inscription in incised letters reads TO THE HONOURED MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919. The names of seven men who fell in the Second World War are inscribed upon the E facing side of the plinth beneath the inscription ALSO OF THE 1939 – 1945 WAR. The inscription “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS” is carved upon the chamfered base of the plinth beneath.
The names of 33 men who fell in the First World War are inscribed upon the N and S facing sides of the plinth. A second inscription to the W facing side of the plinth reads THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Bickerton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was funded by public subscription, which had exceeded the amount required within eight weeks of the initial public meeting held on 16 January 1919. The design was prepared, and work carried out by Haswell and Son of Kaleyards, Chester. The design is adapted from a C9-C10 cross at Ilam, Derbyshire. The memorial was unveiled by Lord Arthur Grosvenor on 19 October 1919 and dedicated by the vicar.
Following the Second World War, the inscription ALSO OF THE 1939 – 1945 WAR, was added to the E facing side of the plinth, along with the names of seven men who fell in the Second World War.
Bickerton War Memorial, unveiled on 19 October 1919, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant sandstone wheel-head cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the Church of the Holy Trinity (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings