If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Bigby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196552

OS Grid Reference: TA0597807472
OS Grid Coordinates: 505978, 407472
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5532, -0.4018

Location: Main Street, Bigby, Lincolnshire DN38 6ES

Locality: Bigby
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN38 6ES

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Bigby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TA OO NE BIGBY MAIN STREET
(West Side)

4/2 Church of
All Saints
1-11-66
I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C15, 1779, 1878 restoration. Coursed
chalk and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, slate
roofs. West tower, north and south aisles, chancel, south
porch. Late C13 west tower of 2 stages with a chamfered string
course separating base from the belfry stage. Angles have
stepped set back buttresses; the buttresses are ironstone
whereas the common wall stones are coursed limestone rubble. In
the west wall is a single 2 light triple chamfered window with
restored quatrefoil, hood mould and human head label stops. 2
light belfry lights are also triple chamfered without hood
moulds, plain tympana. Embattled top of tower in limestone, C15
parapet resting on crude late C13 corbels. North aisle west
wall in coursed rubble, north wall is of brick, a restoration of
1779, and has 3 contemporary lancets and 3 repositioned stepped
ironstone buttresses. The east wall contains a C19 3 light
intersecting traceried window. The eastern part of the south
chancel w-all is of ironstone and chalk squared coursed rubble
with a fragment of a C13 string course near the east end.
Further west is an in situ C13 pointed headed door with beyond
much patching of the walling and the west end of the wall is
actually in brick. At the east end of the chancel is an 1876 2
light window. Further west is a C13 2 light window with pointed
heads and a tympanum pierced by a further arch head; mull ion and
most of the reveals are C19, and the proportions look a bit odd,
suggesting that the window was lengthened then to light the
reader's desk. South aisle of coursed squared rubble with a
chamfered string course. In the east wall is a C19 2 light
window, and in the south wall are 2 C16 windows with flat heads
and ogee headed lights, one of 3 lights, the other of 2, both
much restored. West wall his a seemingly original though much
restored late C13 2 light window with pointed heads, cusped
quatrefoil and chamfered hood mould now ending in C19 human head
label stops. South porch C19, of wood, framed construction,
leaded lattice side lights and castellations and other
decoration; a fine piece. South door is late C13 with
chamfered reveals and dying sunk wave beneath a hollow hood mould
with C19 Southwell style stops. Inside, the north and south
arcades are of 3 bays, both late C13, with octagonal piers,
capitals and abaci with double chamfered arches. It appears
that these arcades may replace earlier ones since the west
respond of the south arcade takes the form of an engaged round
shaft with an annular capital of early C13 form, as does the
lower (reused) element of the eastern respond of the north
arcade. In the south aisle is a cusped trefoil headed ogee
piscina, late C13, and at the east end is a headless figure of a
seated Virgin and Child in limestone; a fine carving of the late
C13. The tower arch is also late C13 with engaged octagonal
jambs with facetted capitals and a deep triple chamfered arch.
Chancel arch is C19 with 2 chamfers resting on wall shafts, all
with Southwell style decoration. The chancel has Minton tiles,
a painted reredos and, on the east wall, delicate terracotta
floriate tiles. In the south wall of the chancel is a late C13
triple sedilia with free standing facetted shafts and plain
arched heads. Roofs and fittings are all C19 apart fom the
earlier of the 2 fonts. This font has a C14 octagonal bowl with
recessed panels containing cusped trefoils, beneath is a moulded
cordon above the C19 base. The font was apparently returned to
the church in 1876. The second font is early C19 and of marble,
oval in form with a swept stem, gadrooned decoration with a
wrought iron mounted deal lid. Monuments: In the chancel a
recumbent effigy of a lady, C14, feet resting on a dog, full
dress with the wimple secured by a chin band, tightly fitting
sleeves and little evidence of the recutting suggested by
Pevsner. Further west is a small but fine brass to Elizabeth
Skipwith, c.1520. On the north side of the chancel is an
immense alabaster tomb to Sir Robert Tyrwhit'of Kettleby, d.1581,
and his wife. A large tombchest supports the recumbent
effigies, he armoured and resting on a paliasse, rolled at the
base, and with a wildman or Woodwose at his feet, she with a lion
at hers. Above is an architectural frame with Doric columns,
cartouched plaque and momento mori surmounted by a shield of
arms. Beneath, round the sides of the chest, 22 children appear
as weepers for their parents. To the east is a second monument
to Sir Robert Tyrwhit, d. 1617 and Lady Bridget Manners d. 1604.
The 2 figures, she headless, kneel opposite each other, contained
in a framework of single Corinthian pillars supporting an
entablature surmounted by an achievement of arms. Between the
figures was originally an altar, now demolished. On the south
wall of the chancel is a fine brass to Edward Nayler, Rector, d.
1632, with kneeling figures of deceased with wife and children.


Listing NGR: TA0597407470

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |