If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



The Royal Hotel, Aldbury

Description: The Royal Hotel

Grade: II
Date Listed: 11 February 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 355642

OS Grid Reference: SP9502812209
OS Grid Coordinates: 495028, 212209
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8005, -0.6233

Locality: Aldbury
Local Authority: Dacorum Borough Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HP23 5QL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Aldbury, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

ALDBURY STATION ROAD
SP 91 SE
(south side), Tring Station
The Royal Hotel
5/6
- 11.2.82 II

the description shall be amended to read:

Hotel. 1838 for John Brown, a brewer of Tring, under arrangement with The London and
Birmingham Railway Company. South wing rebuilt in brick in 1860's for Lord Lonsdale and
further modified in 1937. Stuccoed brick, painted brick to west end facing yard, and yellow
stock brick to south wing. Hipped slate roofs with plastered soffits to wide overhangs. A large
square 3-storeys above cellar building facing north, with a long lower 2-storeyed south wing.
Symmetrical north front lined as ashlar with plinth and regularly-spaced pilasters at comers and
flanking the central porch bay. 3 window wide with lower 2nd storey windows and end
chimneys. Recessed sash windows with moulded surrounds and unusual margin lights to each
sash with central division and vertical sub-divisions. Large square open porch with pilasters and
fluted wooded columns, low square bases, abaci and full entablature surmounted by a simple
decorative cast-iron balustrade. Steps and margin light glazing to the double doors, and
rectangular fanlight. Similar rectangular open porch with balustrade to entrance in south-east
angle with rear wing. East end facing station has plinth comer pilasters and a central sash
window to each floor. 10 recessed sash windows to south wing. Originally named The Harcourt
Arms, but the name was changed between 1845 and 1851 (R.C.H.M. manuscript). Note: the
former stables ranges on the south and west sides of the courtyard to the west of the hotel are
not included in this or any other list.

------------------------------------

ALDBURY STATION ROAD
SP 91 SE (South side)
Tring Station
5/6 The Royal Hotel
11.2.82
II
Hotel. 1838 for John Brown, a brewer of Tring under arrangement with
London and Birmingham Railway Company. S wing and stables rebuilt in
brick in 1860's for Lord Lonsdale, modified 1937, stables converted to
houses in lateC20. Stuccoed brick, painted brick W end to yard, yellow
stock brick S wing, and stable buildings on S and W sides of yard.
Terrace on N and E paved with granite sets. Hipped slate roofs with
plastered soffits to wide overhangs. A large square 3-storeys and cellar
building facing N with a long, lower, 2 storeys S wing, and 2 storeys
buildings on the S and W sides of the large yard on the W of the hotel.
Symmetrical N front lined as ashlar with plinth and regularly spaced
pilasters at corners and flanking the central porch bay. 3 windows wide
with lower 2nd floor windows and end chimneys. Recessed sash windows
with moulded surrounds and unusual margin-lights to each sash with
central division and vertical sub-divisions. Large square open porch
with pilasters and fluted wooden columns, low square bases, abaci, and
full entablature surmounted by a simple decorative cast iron balustrade.
Steps and margin-light glazing to the double doors, and rectangular
fanlight. Similar rectangular open porch with balustrade to entrance in
SE angle with rear wing. E end facing station has plinth corner
pilasters, and a central sash window to each floor. 10 recessed sash
windows to S wing. Originally named The Harcourt Arms but name changed
between 1845 and 1851. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: SP9502812209

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |