Elim Pentecostal Church Adjoining Sunday School and Boundary Wall, Hull
Description: Elim Pentecostal Church Adjoining Sunday School and Boundary Wall
Date Listed: 21 January 1994
English Heritage Building ID: 387741
OS Grid Reference: TA0827829880
OS Grid Coordinates: 508278, 429880
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7540, -0.3593
Location: Duesbery Street, Hull, City of Kingston-upon-Hull HU5 3QP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA02NE PRINCE'S AVENUE
680-1/8/304 (North East side)
Elim Pentecostal Church, adjoining
Sunday School and boundary wall
Pentecostal church and adjoining Sunday school and boundary
wall. 1897-99. By WH Bingley. Brick with ashlar dressings and
gabled and hipped slate roofs with single ridge and single
gable stacks. Plinth and coped west gables.
Nave with clerestorey, aisles, transepts, north-west and
south-west porches, north-west bell tower.
Nave east gable has a cross transomed round window and below,
a single-storey L-plan building adjoining. West end has string
course and stepped sill band. Transomed central lancet flanked
by double transomed double lancets with elliptical-arched
heads. Above, a round window with cross-shaped tracery. Below,
two 4-centred arched doorways with double board doors. All
these openings have hoodmoulds. To right, a slim gabled
buttress topped with a crocketed pinnacle. Clerestorey has on
either side 2 windows with lattice tracery and 2 triple
lancets all set in recesses with stepped heads.
Aisles have 4 cusped triple lancets in flat-headed openings.
North transept has transomed triple lancet to north and
transomed double lancet to west.
Canted 2-storey south-west porch has to west a pointed-arched
doorway with hoodmould and above it, a square window with
lozenge tracery. To its right, a single lancet. Similar, lower
north-west porch has 3 single lancets.
Octagonal south-west tower, 3 stages, has blind square base
with broaches. Second stage has short gabled buttresses and a
single small window on 4 sides. Bell stage has brick and stone
bands and 8 small lancet openings with crocketed gables. Squat
octagonal spire has crenellated base and finial.
Sunday school, to left, single-storey, cross plan, has hipped
and gabled roof topped with an open bell turret with square
dome and finial. Coped west gable has central gabled buttress
flanked by single stone mullioned cross casements and above, a
quatrefoil in a circle. Left return has a single window. North
wing has canted end with buttresses and 3 stone mullioned
cross casements. Left return has a single casement and a
wooden cross casement. Higher east gable has 2 segment-headed
wooden cross casements.
Outside, brick boundary wall and wrought-iron railing, with
ashlar coping to wall and pedestals and 2 pairs of gatepiers
with billeted caps. 2 pairs of wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR: nave has arch-braced roof with ceiling and tie
beams, wall shafts and struts with traceried panels.
Perpendicular style arcades, 6 bays, with brick arches, stone
intrados and springing, and round granite columns with
octagonal stone bases. Moulded sill band to clerestorey
windows. East end has a traceried round window, and a double
lancet to north and south. Full-width 2-tower organ case. West
end has a panelled wooden gallery with canted corners. Above
it, 4 windows with stained glass. Below the gallery, a pair of
half-glazed doors on either side.
Aisles have lean-to roofs and at their east ends, brick
half-arches. 4 triple lancets with depressed segmental brick
heads, 2 to south-east with stained glass, 1873 and 1917.
North transept has to east and west a double lancet, the west
one transomed, the east one with stained glass, 1949. North
gable has a door on each side and a round window above.
South transept has a transomed double lancet to west, and 2
double lancets to east with stained-glass by Abbott & Co. of
Lancaster, c1918. South gable has a round window.
Western entrance lobby has 2 panelled internal porches and a
single door each end. Foundation stone dated 1898.
Apsidal ended Sunday School has arch-braced roof with ceiling.
North side has half-glazed screens separating the side rooms.
Fittings include matchboard benches. No font or pulpit.
Memorials include marble and slate tablet with sarcophagus, to
George Lambert, 1816. 2 mid C19 marble and slate tablets.
Listing NGR: TA0827829880
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.