Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 8 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 60340
OS Grid Reference: NZ6085224978
OS Grid Coordinates: 460852, 524978
Latitude/Longitude: 54.6163, -1.0592
REDCAR REDCAR LANE east side
NZ 62 SW
5/83 Church of St. Peter
Church 1822/28, by Ignatius Bonomi; 5th bay of nave, 1848; chancel, chapels
and vestries, 1899/1929 by Moscrop. Restored and altered by R. Simms 1978.
Dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs. Nave, aisled chancel, south and east
vestries, west tower, and boiler-house on south side of tower. Gothick.
3-stage tower has angle buttresses with offsets, terminating in 4 embattled
octagonal turrets rising above embattled parapet. Renewed glazed west door
in chamfered 4-centred surround, under squared hoodmould. Similar surround
to window in 2nd stage. Trefoil-headed 2-light bell openings with louvres,
those in south and west faces altered; clock faces in north and west
openings. 5-bay nave has plain plinth and offset buttresses rising to
embattled parapet above string course. Western bays have windows above
north and south doorways in chamfered surrounds, under squared hoodmoulds
continued as sill strings. South doorway blocked; north doorway holds
renewed glazed door. All openings have 4-centred heads. Windows have
chamfered mullions and transoms, trefoil-headed upper lights, battered sills
and renewed leaded glazing. Similar windows in west wall of nave. 2-bay
chancel, slightly higher than nave, and flat-roofed aisles and vestries.
Interior: 2-tier queenpost roof with moulded queenposts, arched braces and
angle struts to lower, exposed parts of trusses. Panelled ceiling above
lower collars. Panelled barrel roof in chancel has painted and gilded
bosses. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch, similar flanking arches to
chapels, and 2-bay chancel arcades. West gallery with painted panelled
front. Reredos, 1939 by Leslie Moore, made by Thompson (Kilburn), has
carved traceried heads and ornamental surrounds to 7 painted and gilded
panels of saints, the Virgin and infant Christ. Flanked by linenfold
panelling. Stained glass in east window by H. Grylls 1939. The church is
of importance as a local landmark.
Listing NGR: NZ6085224978
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.