This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.574 / 55°34'26"N
Longitude: -2.1041 / 2°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 393534
OS Northings: 631156
OS Grid: NT935311
Mapcode National: GBR F3RZ.8P
Mapcode Global: WH9ZG.N586
Entry Name: Coupland Castle
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237609
Location: Ewart, Northumberland, NE71
Civil Parish: Ewart
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Kirknewton St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 93 SW EWART COUPLAND
3/33 Coupland Castle
Country house. C16, C17, C18 and 1820-25. Random rubble including massive
porphyry blocks, partly roughcast. Ashlar dressings and Scottish slate roofs.
Towerhouse, built after 1584, with irregular later additions.
Towerhouse: 4 storeys. 47 ft. x 29 ft. C19 12-pane sashes in moulded surrounds.
Projecting parapet on original rounded corbels. C19 battlements. Gabled roof
behind parapet with original stone-flagged walkway around.
Slightly later extension to tower on left, forming T-plan for these early parts.
Similar windows. Continuous moulded corbel table below parapet. Pyramidal
roof and circular stair turret.
2-storey, 3-bay house of c.1820-25 attached to left. Central battlemented porch
tower with Tudor-arched entrance and oriel window above on moulded corbels.
Plaster rib vault in porch. 2-storey canted bay window to right and 3-light
mullioned windows to left. Battlemented parapet and false gable behind porch.
Left return has work of 1820-25 on right and 3-bay C18 house to left with 12-pane
sash windows in raised surrounds.
Rear facade irregular.
Interior: Tower has vaulted basement, subdivided later into 2 rooms. Original
narrow stone newel stair starts from 1st floor in corbelled-out semicircular
projection now partly inside later addition to tower, which also contains a
broader and later stone newel stair from ground to 1st floor. Base of this
stair has round-arched doorway with roll-moulded surround, probably early C17.
Similar doorway into kitchen range to rear. Base of original tower has late
C17 or early C18 doorway with bolection-moulded surround. On 1st floor of
tower a large fireplace dated GW 1619 MW for George and Mary Wallis. The
initials set in decorative recessed panels. Tudor-arched lintel. C19 section
has contemporary decoration including fine doors, cornices with Greek key
pattern, cantilevered stair with wrought-iron balustrade. Several early C19
fireplaces and one late C18 wood fireplace with Corinthian columns and relief
carving in lintel, brought from elsewhere.
Hist. of Northumberland Vol. VII.
A.A. New Series XXV 1904 by Rev. Culley.
Listing NGR: NT9353431156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings