This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5278 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: 0.7896 / 0°47'22"E
OS Eastings: 593598
OS Northings: 184678
OS Grid: TQ935846
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.2G2
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.MVSN
Entry Name: C, D and E the Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122961
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA WARRIOR SQUARE
(north side), Shoebury Garrison
5/726 C, D and E The Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Terrace of 3 married officers' houses at the British School of Gunnery. 1861-2. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, truncated brick ridge, gable and side lateral stacks, and slate roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 4:5:4-window range. Symmetrical front with projecting coped gables on kneelers one bay from the ends, brick first-floor string and cill band and moulded brick eaves cornice; end and central entrance bays, the latter with a small raised gable, have segmental-arched doorways with plate-glass overlights and 4-panel doors, the middle house has double half-glazed mid C20 doors. Segmental-arched windows, keyed on the ground floor with 2/2-pane sashes, plate-glass first-floor sashes, the front gables have wide, shallow bays with raking roofs and tripartite windows with brick mullions, and timber tripartite first-floor windows. Rear has similar elevation, with the outer gables containing larger 6/6-pane sashes to the stairs, and a central single storey service block. INTERIOR: has a central axial passage, dogleg transverse stairs from the entrance hall with moulded iron balusters and curtails, 4-panel doors and late C19 fireplaces. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Contains architectural distinctions reflecting the rank of the occupant. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 357-358; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ9359884678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings